Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stalling While Driving Down Hills?!?!?
Alright so i just bought a used 2000 Focus SE with a MTX and Zetec engine. It has 54000kms on it. Two weeks ago and just today when i was heading to work on mississauga rd. going down the hill just before dundas (both times happening while travelling down a hill at about 60kms) my car dies. Well i notice that the steering is stiff and i look down at my guages and see the engine and battery light on and i can't rev, so i'm assuming my engine stalled but my stereo is playing fine uninterupted by the engine dying. Both times when i was in neutral cruising down the hill and i had pushed the clutch in b/c i know when i get to the bottom of these short hills i will be shifting into gear.

I have bought an extended 2year 40000km warranty so i will probably take it in to get it checked but does anybody know whats wrong?
2000 SE Sedan, Zetec 2.0
Sounds like a fuel pump.
The stereo wouldnt be interrupted because your key is still in the on position. and anthony is right it definatley sounds like a fuel pump
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Does anybody know of a reputable garage in Mississauga i should take my car to? I bought this car from a oakville mazda dealer and they gave me a warranty that i paid way too much for from a company called Old Republic, so i am assuming i can go anywhere with that warranty but i'll have to read the fine print to check that out.

Does anybody else have some suggestions as what else i should get the mechanic to check?
2000 SE Sedan, Zetec 2.0
gabe,Jun 23 2005, 10:43 AM Wrote:Does anybody know of a reputable garage in Mississauga i should take my car to? I bought this car from a oakville mazda dealer and they gave me a warranty that i paid way too much for from a company called Old Republic, so i am assuming i can go anywhere with that warranty but i'll have to read the fine print to check that out.

Does anybody else have some suggestions as what else i should get the mechanic to check?
[right][snapback]116461[/snapback][/right]

I reccomend DISCOVER FORD in Burlington if you don;t mind the drive.

Just make sure the dealer is Blue Oval Certified. I find you get superior service from those dealers.
You could take it to erinwood... sometimes they do awesome work... sometimes.. they cant allocate your part and it takes 129234238 days to get your car back :angry: :angry:

I reccomend dixie ford
05 Altima SE-R
http://ford.ca/english/Maintaining/Recalls/Default.asp

Go here and input your VIN, see if your car has any outstanding recalls waiting to be done to it. Chances are the original owner was negligent and didn't get them done.

I'll third the fuel pump idea, I'm pretty sure all 2000s and most 2001s were affected by a faulty fuel pump design - hence the recall.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
check the 3 wires on the harness going into the coil pack.
'00 ZX3, WW 'W-Typ' kit & 3-pc Wing, 17" CSA Ultra 5-spoke rims, Progress Springs, SPAX shocks & struts, MAC Intake.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 23 2005, 11:39 AM Wrote:http://ford.ca/english/Maintaining/Recalls/Default.asp

Go here and input your VIN, see if your car has any outstanding recalls waiting to be done to it. Chances are the original owner was negligent and didn't get them done.

I'll third the fuel pump idea, I'm pretty sure all 2000s and most 2001s were affected by a faulty fuel pump design - hence the recall.
[right][snapback]116490[/snapback][/right]

I check my VIN and i have a recall for a rear door latch that i will get them to do when i go in for the fuel pump.
2000 SE Sedan, Zetec 2.0
What is a vin? What is a focus? where am i ?
05 Altima SE-R
ANTHONYD,Jun 23 2005, 10:05 AM Wrote:Sounds like a fuel pump.
[right][snapback]116440[/snapback][/right]

It is, I had that problem all the time with my old 2001 Automatic Focus, more so going up hill than anything else. But it was 3 years old, and had more then 100,000 kms before I delt it in for the current focus.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
heres my little rant about Disconvery......................

I scheduled an appointment to get my hesitation problem checked out, 2 days before I scheduled the hesitation my lights went out and only the high beams worked. So I take it in and find out that my warrenty on the car was over, turns out that the 100k 5 year does not apply on parts just the internals of the engine(real dam stupid). After getting the estimate of 300 I said "nope not today because I dont have that kind of cash". On to my next problem...my lights, well after a look the mechanic said it would be a $200 job, this really stuned me and what really stuned me was that he said that he doesnt know if he can fix it because it had aftermarket lights(which the car came with when I bought the car from discovery). He tells me if I want to fix it myself its probobly the blue module that comes with the hellas. Then he tells me to wait a second hes going to check my fuses but doesnt know which one it could be and has to consult the manual. After consulting the manual and looking at both fuse locations and pulling a couple out he said its deffinetely not them. I leave all pissed off and go home finding out that Im low in washer fluid, so I pull over to petro and just before I fill the resevour with fluid I check the fuses.... "mother bastard" you can see that one of them was blown and he spend like 15 min looking at them. I bought one at the gas station and put it in, bam lights work.
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
No Offence D-Dub,

My old Hella lights, I had major issues with mine before I sold them to Malby. Trust me I got them used on the focus when I bought the car used, and Ford would not cover it either. I have 18 work orders on fixing the Hella lights alone.

I tell you a good word of advice, keep higher watted extra fuses, got to a scrap yard and get a few of the gray relays out of a scraped focus and keep them as spares if your wanting to keep your hella's in good working order, More so when they go out on you again. After 3 fuses blow out, it's usually the relay that goes afterwords.

And that's not including the potential fire hazard these light pose to your car if their not hooked up correctly. Or the full wiring harness melt down that could occure ( over $700 to fix at ford )
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.