Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Bang For The Buck Mods
I have an 03 SVT ZX5 completely stock performance wise, just wondering what some things are out their to give me a little extra kick that won't kick my wallet to hard.
UDPs I think are a nice bang for the buck.
Intake and exhaust are the usual ones people will do most often, and not overly expensive. But within that category you have quite a few options too..
for the SVT i would suggest the an intake and TB.
the exhaust is pretty much optimized right from the factory. a FC ORP has shown great power gains but the sound is not always enjoyed by the customers plus there seem to be issues with flex sections cracking and causing a exhaust rattle the is really...... :thumbsdownsmileyanim:
a short shifter is nice but does little for performance other than making shifting more fun.

all of the above are pretty cheap and easy to do yourself except the ORP, that requires a bit more than basic hand tools.

I say Tuning..
UDP, intake, exhaust in the order of cost for the most part (least --> greatest). The last two are interchangeable, though depending on manufacturers. After that you've got TB, but the true gains for a TB won't really be "felt" without at least intake / exhaust.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
you don't really need an exhaust on an svt. intake, tb, rear motor mount, short shifter and some tuning is all you need. unless your going FI on the car.
'03 Focus SVT
best bang for buck for svt....

used JRSC
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
FocusGuy7476,Jul 9 2005, 12:13 AM Wrote:you don't really need an exhaust on an svt. intake, tb, rear motor mount, short shifter and some tuning is all you need. unless your going FI on the car.
[right][snapback]120500[/snapback][/right]
Got to agree with focusguy7476.
One of the best performance bangs for the buck is top shelf tires... and a set of light weight wheels are an excellent return for the dollar.

If you mean power wise, I would either go FI to make the effort worthwhile, or just leave it stock.
dollar to hp and torque value goes to any FI. Its got the best ratio.
2000 ZX3 White
Magnaflow Exhaust, Steeda CAI, Ford Racing Headers, ORP, H&R Cup Kit, ST170 headlights, JMS Lip Kit,98-01 Euro front bumper, Shorty antenna, 17" Falken Circuit spec rims with 21540ZR17 Falken Fk-451 rubber, Brembo Rotors and Hks pads
SVT ZX3,Jul 9 2005, 06:43 PM Wrote:
FocusGuy7476,Jul 9 2005, 12:13 AM Wrote:you don't really need an exhaust on an svt. intake, tb, rear motor mount, short shifter and some tuning is all you need. unless your going FI on the car.
[right][snapback]120500[/snapback][/right]
Got to agree with focusguy7476.
[right][snapback]120664[/snapback][/right]

OK, I'm admittedly less-than-knowledgable with SVTF stuff... how big is the SVTF exhaust from the factory, and why would a MBRP 2.5" exhaust not help it?

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Nightshit.
ANTHONYD,Jul 11 2005, 10:18 AM Wrote:Nightshit.
[right][snapback]121021[/snapback][/right]

That's it! When you're not looking at the Dyno Day, I'm Nightshading all your damn lenses, even the headlights!

Let's see you drive home in the dark then!

MUAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! :lol: :ph34r:

ANTHONYD,Jul 11 2005, 10:18 AM Wrote:Nightshit.
[right][snapback]121021[/snapback][/right]

I had a feeling sooner or later you would post that.
I was doing free nightshitting at the BBQ, too bad no one wanted anything sprayed.
My other ride is your Mom
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 11 2005, 05:44 AM Wrote:OK, I'm admittedly less-than-knowledgable with SVTF stuff... how big is the SVTF exhaust from the factory, and why would a MBRP 2.5" exhaust not help it?
[right][snapback]121002[/snapback][/right]

pretty much every exhaust out ther for the SVT has been proven to lose power on a stock or mildly modded SVT.

they do sounds a bit better but the SVT exahsut is pretty much optimized from the factory... oh and the SVT exhaust is 2.28"
2.25" has been proven to not hold back power till around the 170fwhp mark... SVT clock in around 145fwhp.
ZX3TUNING,Jul 11 2005, 11:55 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 11 2005, 05:44 AM Wrote:OK, I'm admittedly less-than-knowledgable with SVTF stuff... how big is the SVTF exhaust from the factory, and why would a MBRP 2.5" exhaust not help it?
[right][snapback]121002[/snapback][/right]

pretty much every exhaust out ther for the SVT has been proven to lose power on a stock or mildly modded SVT.

they do sounds a bit better but the SVT exahsut is pretty much optimized from the factory... oh and the SVT exhaust is 2.28"
2.25" has been proven to not hold back power till around the 170fwhp mark... SVT clock in around 145fwhp.
[right][snapback]121300[/snapback][/right]

Thanks Mitch, that's exactly what I wanted to know :)

Got any links to SVTF exhaust reviews vs. stock system?

Chromey,Jul 8 2005, 11:03 PM Wrote:I say Tuning..
[right][snapback]120491[/snapback][/right]

i completely agree... unless you can afford FI. The program from the factory is piggish. There is a very nice difference with the tune. Really tho, you need to elaborate on "best bang for buck"... what are you looking to spend... for instance, intake and TB will run you near the price of a tune... but you still have the piggish computer program. Pullies... meh, not bad either I guess.
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
Most bolt-ons for the focus are not really worth the money until you get some internals or FI going on....

Just stay away from crap that doesn't really do anything, like coil packs, plug wires, udps, if your going FI throttle body isn't really worth it either....

If I had to do it again, id do it in the following order.
-exhaust
-forced induction sc or turbo w/ headers
-tuning
-some fi cams/internals
-more tuning
-new clutch

I removed the factory resonator, car sounds louder but real ricey, especialy with the bee hive at the back for a tip. definately will have to drop for a descent catback, i was thinking the manaflow.