Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodenow Steps Down.
Canadian Press

7/28/2005 12:31:07 PM
TORONTO (CP) - One week a week after ratifying the NHL's labour deal, the NHL Players' Association announced Thursday that union boss Bob Goodenow is stepping down.
The hard-nosed NHLPA executive director had three years remaining on a contract that reportedly paid him $2.5 million US a year.
Ted Saskin, the NHLPA's senior director of business affairs and licensing, will succeed Goodenow as executive director and general counsel.
Saskin served as the union's lead negotiator on the labour deal, sparring with Bill Daly of the NHL.
"With the conclusion of the negotiations and the ratification of the new agreement, the parties concur that this is an appropriate action for the future," Goodenow said in a statement. "I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to serve the players over the past 15 years and to have had the support of a tremendous staff at the NHLPA. I wish the players every success under the new CBA."

It is widely believed that the new labour deal, with its salary cap and linkage to league revenues, was not favoured by Goodenow.
But as the lockout wiped out the entire 2004-05 season, players made their voices heard. NHLPA president Trevor Linden stepped in and the union returned to the bargaining table ready to negotiate
In its statement announcing Goodenow's departure, the NHLPA said: "This decision followed discussions between Goodenow and members of the executive committee about the organization's future."
Still, Goodenow did not sound like a man about to quit when he sat alongside commissioner Gary Bettman last Thursday as a news conference in Toronto announcing the players' ratification of the labour deal.
"There's been some reports and speculation (about the future) and that goes with the territory," Goodenow said at the time. "But I enjoy my work, I have a contract and I intend to abide by it certainly."
Linden spoke warmly of Goodenow in the statement announcing his departure.
"Every NHL player has benefited enormously from Bob's leadership and dedication. He has been a tireless advocate for the players and he dramatically improved the players' situation in every respect. Bob built the NHLPA into a first-class organization and we are all very grateful to him."
Linden also praised Saskin in Thursday's statement.
"Ted has worked closely with Bob every step of the way and has done an excellent job for the players in our recently concluded CBA negotiations. We have every confidence that he will be able to lead our association well in the years to come."
The moves mean both of the lead negotiators in the labour deal have been promoted: Saskin to executive director and Daly to deputy commissioner.
ANTHONYD,Jul 28 2005, 12:54 PM Wrote:Canadian Press

7/28/2005 12:31:07 PM
TORONTO (CP) - One week a week after ratifying the NHL's labour deal, the NHL Players' Association announced Thursday that union boss Bob Goodenow is stepping down.
The hard-nosed NHLPA executive director had three years remaining on a contract that reportedly paid him $2.5 million US a year.
Ted Saskin, the NHLPA's senior director of business affairs and licensing, will succeed Goodenow as executive director and general counsel.
Saskin served as the union's lead negotiator on the labour deal, sparring with Bill Daly of the NHL.
"With the conclusion of the negotiations and the ratification of the new agreement, the parties concur that this is an appropriate action for the future," Goodenow said in a statement. "I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to serve the players over the past 15 years and to have had the support of a tremendous staff at the NHLPA. I wish the players every success under the new CBA."

It is widely believed that the new labour deal, with its salary cap and linkage to league revenues, was not favoured by Goodenow.
But as the lockout wiped out the entire 2004-05 season, players made their voices heard. NHLPA president Trevor Linden stepped in and the union returned to the bargaining table ready to negotiate
In its statement announcing Goodenow's departure, the NHLPA said: "This decision followed discussions between Goodenow and members of the executive committee about the organization's future."
Still, Goodenow did not sound like a man about to quit when he sat alongside commissioner Gary Bettman last Thursday as a news conference in Toronto announcing the players' ratification of the labour deal.
"There's been some reports and speculation (about the future) and that goes with the territory," Goodenow said at the time. "But I enjoy my work, I have a contract and I intend to abide by it certainly."
Linden spoke warmly of Goodenow in the statement announcing his departure.
"Every NHL player has benefited enormously from Bob's leadership and dedication. He has been a tireless advocate for the players and he dramatically improved the players' situation in every respect. Bob built the NHLPA into a first-class organization and we are all very grateful to him."
Linden also praised Saskin in Thursday's statement.
"Ted has worked closely with Bob every step of the way and has done an excellent job for the players in our recently concluded CBA negotiations. We have every confidence that he will be able to lead our association well in the years to come."
The moves mean both of the lead negotiators in the labour deal have been promoted: Saskin to executive director and Daly to deputy commissioner.
[right][snapback]125987[/snapback][/right]

What do yah know :rolleyes:
My Mom Says I'm Special
lets see:
1) lost the best deal they could have had----Check
2) gave up on all the major issues they were fighting for---check
3) lost all player support---check
4) radically changed the game---check
5) run for the hills before the mob is unleashed wanting your head---check!
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
Welcome to baseball.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Jul 28 2005, 01:14 PM Wrote:Welcome to baseball.
[right][snapback]125995[/snapback][/right]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

have they published all of the new rules yet??
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
*goes back to work. Nothing to see here*
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Stepping down my arse... He's fleeing before the players realize how far he sold them down the river with his win at all costs strategy. He thought this was '94-95 all over again and that the owners would fall apart like tissue paper in a waterfall after a few weeks of no revenue from the gate.

Surprise, surprise Mr. Goodfornothing, this time the owners stuck to their guns and it was your members who were breaking rankings as the paycheques vanished.

All I can say in summation: One Down, One To Go!

NefCanuck
I'm guessing Betman is toast by the end of next month.
If Gary Betman isn't out before the season starts, I'm volunteering to lead an assualt group on his house and assasinate him
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
Raine,Jul 28 2005, 04:16 PM Wrote:If Gary Betman isn't out before the season starts, I'm volunteering to lead an assualt group on his house and assasinate him
[right][snapback]126027[/snapback][/right]

You bring the flaming torches, I'll bring the pitchforks! <_<

NefCanuck
too bad this didn't happen at this time last year, with both the stepping down and the angry mob to the house :ph34r:
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
I would bet big bucks that they tried to open up his contract and give him a 30% wage cut, just like the players, and he walked away.

Says alot about a man. And lawyers.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
ANTHONYD,Jul 28 2005, 02:28 PM Wrote:I'm guessing Betman is toast by the end of next month.
[right][snapback]126016[/snapback][/right]

not a chance (at least I don't see why he would)...the owners pretty much got exactly what they wanted...and what he promised...cost certaintly tied to revenue with a cap.

Goodenow stepped down, IMHO, because he didn't like the deal but felt enormous pressure from the players to settle. He was fully against a cap...and supported the players to the extent that he didn't draw a paycheque himself during the lockout. It's not a "bad" deal, but they *clearly* have lost a lot of financial ground.

It doesn't follow that the owners "won" though. That remains to be seen. If smaller markets can bring back the fans (teams like the Leafs will still sellout every game), then they will have PWNED the players in this battle.

Car-less for the first time in years...
'01 Twilight Blue ZTS is gone...
'90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 15psi, 3" cat-back w/Turbo muffler, blah blah....is now gone too Sad
We (fiancee and myself) were talking about this a few days ago.. but yeah, we both want to see Bettman go the way of Goodenow, and it can't be soon enough. Hopefully hockey can draw its fanbase back now.

Raine: count in two more warm bodies for the lynch mob.

Now to get tickets for November 11th... since we finally got the schedule... whatever the outcome, I'm sleeping on the couch I'm sure... if the Sabres win (fat chance), I'm on the couch because they won. If the Leafs win, I'll be on the couch because I'll get tired of the gloating ;)

The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
torradan,Jul 29 2005, 06:41 PM Wrote:We (fiancee and myself) were talking about this a few days ago.. but yeah, we both want to see Bettman go the way of Goodenow, and it can't be soon enough.  Hopefully hockey can draw its fanbase back now. 

Raine:  count in two more warm bodies for the lynch mob.

Now to get tickets for November 11th... since we finally got the schedule... whatever the outcome, I'm sleeping on the couch I'm sure... if the Sabres win (fat chance), I'm on the couch because they won.  If the Leafs win, I'll be on the couch because I'll get tired of the gloating ;)
[right][snapback]126325[/snapback][/right]
Go Leafs Go, Leafs play sabres on Rememberance day eh?
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
torradan,Jul 29 2005, 07:41 PM Wrote:We (fiancee and myself) were talking about this a few days ago.. but yeah, we both want to see Bettman go the way of Goodenow, and it can't be soon enough.  Hopefully hockey can draw its fanbase back now. 

Raine:  count in two more warm bodies for the lynch mob.

Now to get tickets for November 11th... since we finally got the schedule... whatever the outcome, I'm sleeping on the couch I'm sure... if the Sabres win (fat chance), I'm on the couch because they won.  If the Leafs win, I'll be on the couch because I'll get tired of the gloating ;)
[right][snapback]126325[/snapback][/right]

That's what earplugs are for :lol: (I only have one friend who isn't a Leafs fan, he roots for Ottawa... all I have to say is the magic word playoffs and he shuts right up :rofl:

Eh, the Sabres have a decent enough team on paper, won't be enough to beat the Leafs but you should do alright ;)

NefCanuck