Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fastest Way To Reach My Goal!
Hello and hi, most of you guys now i had just recently got , a 2001 Ford Focus se with the sport package and.... that's about it. but any way

My goal is to get my focus up to 200hp, and i don't think it's and imposable task. But from all my data searching, all i got that would add any real horse power, would be a super chip, cool air intake, and new headers .

but i don't know what else i should do? my old man always said, if you don't want to be a ricer and suck the bottle, it's all about the pistons and cams. so am wondering , where abouts would one find good high performance cams and pistons?

And if i guys have any other ideas for a fast upgrade to reach my goal of 200hp i would be more then happy to hear it. (note , i would rather not have to deal with turbos and super chargers of any sort.)
Save points are for quiters
Your going to pay more money getting 200hp Naturally aspirated than going with Turbo/supercharger.

My suggestion.

Start saving for a supercharger/turbo kit.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Tri_kento,Aug 5 2005, 02:12 PM Wrote:Hello and hi, most of you guys now i had just recently got , a 2001 Ford Focus se with the sport package and.... that's about it. but any way

My goal is to get my focus up to 200hp, and i don't think it's and imposable task. But from all my data searching, all i got that would add any real horse power, would be a super chip, cool air intake, and new headers .

but i don't know what else i should do? my old man always said, if you don't want to be a  ricer and suck the bottle, it's all about the pistons and cams. so am wondering , where abouts would one find good high performance cams and pistons?

And if i guys have any other ideas for a fast upgrade to reach my goal of 200hp i would be more then happy to hear it. (note , i would rather not have to deal with turbos and super chargers of any sort.)
[right][snapback]128473[/snapback][/right]

Well, to get there... first things first.. you need a tranny that can handle the power. If its the autotragic from stock, good luck getting past 145whp.

Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
So how much would a turbo add ? just a ruff estimate ?

And i would need new tranny! glarg. this going to be a long goal to reach....
Tri_kento,Aug 5 2005, 02:23 PM Wrote:So how much would a turbo add ? just a ruff estimate ?

And i would need  new tranny! glarg. this going to be a long goal to reach....
[right][snapback]128477[/snapback][/right]

NOS2Go4Me was talking to me about a valve kit for the tranny that kinda can boost the power handling.

PM him about it.

As for a Turbo, depends on PSI it delivers.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
well thanks for the help guys, but i think the very . very first upgrade is going to be a cold air intake.
Tri_kento,Aug 5 2005, 02:30 PM Wrote:well thanks for the help guys, but i think the very . very first upgrade is going to be a cold air intake.
[right][snapback]128479[/snapback][/right]

here's where I would go first:

Cold Air Intake
Larger Throttle Body
High Flow Cat
Shorty Header (or go with a full header if you are brave)
Cat Back Exhaust
UDP

Most of these are not labour intensive and can be done by the average person. As for going into the block and cylinder heads, I'd recommend bringing it to a professional or a good wrench monkey.

I have not seen one focus with over 200 hp wihtout: nitrous/turbo/SC.

What do you think you can POSSIBLY do with just bolt ons?

Intake
Throttlebody
Header / flex / exhaust
UDP
Cam gears
Cam shafts
Chip

Total cost? 2000 or so unless you go used. Tack on a bottle for another 1500 you're laughing, 200+ hp easy. probably a solid 14 second run down the track. (guys on club focus have hit 14's with less boltons but higher spray)

If you wanna build the motor, pnp, and all that other head work, you're lookin 2000 plus just for that s**t. So you'd be well over 5000 all said and done.

I'd say you'd be lucky to get near 160-170 with that setup even with a solid tune.

*shrug* goodluck hitting 200 NA.
Run your car, not your mouth
200whp N/A = not likely
200whp on unmodified auto tranny = not possible

if you wanna make that kinda hp, save for a turbo/supercharger and an Lentech

2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
hmm well i spos 170 hp would be nice to. I just really hate the idea of "NOS-->" and a turbo would be cool but i don't think i could save up 5000$.. am not really in a job where i make a whole lot of money, i maybe make like 80-90$ every 2 weeks. so...

But any ways, i have about 150$ in savings right now, and i have to use that to get my focus back to stock conditon. so am going to buy some tail-light from e-bay.(little off topic there)

yea but i think i could get a good deal on my cam,pistons,and other things, since my dad has a job at this auto supply place so, i should be able to get my parts at whole sale. or i'll just ebay it up.! but am still going to go for the 200 hp mark.
Tri_kento,Aug 5 2005, 03:49 PM Wrote:hmm well i spos 170 hp would be nice to. I just really hate the idea of  "NOS-->" and a turbo would be cool but i don't think i could save up 5000$.. am not really in a job where i make a whole lot of money, i maybe make like 80-90$ every 2 weeks. so...

But any ways, i have about 150$ in savings right now, and i have to use that to get my focus back to stock conditon. so am going to buy some tail-light from e-bay.(little off topic there)

yea but i think i could get a good deal on my cam,pistons,and other things, since my dad has a job at this auto supply place so, i should be able to get my parts at whole sale. or i'll just ebay it up.! but am still going to go for the 200 hp mark.
[right][snapback]128499[/snapback][/right]

its always nice to have a goal, even an unrealistic one. Keeps your focus (no pun intended) on what you want in life.

If you want 200WHP with the Zetec, you'll need:

Pistons and associated hardware (connecting rods, pins, etc), high-compression stuff - 10.5:1 or higher. Don't forget the 91 Octane gas at least.

PnP the head, new cams, cam gears, possibly new valvetrain.

New intake manifold, new throttle body, port-match the TB to the intake mani.

Cold-air intake, underdrive pullies (50% or so), race header, either high-flow cat or Off-Road Pipe.

Retuned ECU fo sho.

To rein this all in, you'll need a Lentech or Level 10 autobox for sure. You're also going to want the Lentech-compatible LSD so you can actually accelerate around corners and not just lay a patch.

I don't know all the pricing on the Zetec, but the SPI's complete valvetrain and bumpstick upgrade package is $1G in parts alone. That doesn't even begin to factor in the new pistons and other fun stuff.

Just accept what I already have and resign yourself to F/I for power. The Ford 4 cyls. (besides the Duratecs) are not high-powered N/A monsters. They love boost, and boost is the only way to make more real power.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Well i don't know. i'll just have to take this one step at at a time with my budget, so am just going to shoot for fixing it back to stock and maybe get one of those super chips and a cold air. and that will be good enough for awhile. and if i still have a hunger for power, maby... just maby i'll swollow my pride and get...
"NOS-->"

maybe.
Oh you have an auto tranny?

Here is a quick tip man. Give up.

the transmission is only good to the 130-140 mark before it just poops out.

its been beaten to death. if you want to surpass the 150 mark, you are going to need a lentech tranny or a level 10.

Do NOT proceed thinking you can do it without blowing your tranny. Better and Bigger have tried and failed. There is just a weak link in the automatic focus.

PnP and valve and pistons and all that extra s**t is a waste of money unless you plan on spending 5000 dollars to replace it with a higher performance tranny man. lets just say your automatic will have a hard time handling all the "mild" mods we mentioned. It's a race against time man, it is sadly inevitable. You can't do it.

Sound negative enough for you? I just wanna save you heartache. You say you cannot afford a turbo, then you can't afford a lentech or level 10 (they are just as much as a turbo / sc) Don't blow your tranny trying.
Tri_kento,Aug 5 2005, 04:09 PM Wrote:Well i don't know. i'll just have to take this one step at at a time with my budget, so am just going to shoot for fixing it back to stock and maybe get one of those super chips and a cold air. and that will be  good enough for awhile. and if i still have a hunger for power, maby... just maby i'll swollow my pride and get...
"NOS-->"

maybe.
[right][snapback]128504[/snapback][/right]

Suck it up and come to terms that you drive a slow car....

A lot of us have. B)
I have an automatic with the following engine mods:

-Focusport “Street” header.
-K&N panel filter.
-Adjustable cam gears, Unorthodox Racing
-Ford Racing camshafts, “street grind”
-AFX underdrive pulley
-Focusport “Stealth” exhaust (2-1/4”)
-SVT Focus intake

Its nice but nowhere near 150whp. If someone told me it was 125 I'd be shocked. No problems in 60,000km but I'd say that the above and a high flow cat is about as far I'd ever want to go with the stock automatic.

You'd be living day by day beyond that point.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
then i spos i'll do like everyone else "if u can't make it go fast, make it look like it's going fast". bring on the body kit! mmm maybe the West avernger style body kit..... who knows!, but still. am putting in a cold air intake at least!. and then just the regulars" new sinthetic oil, new spark plugs, plug wires and over all i'll just dress the engine bay up.. yea i think that's my best bet.
for the record, to get 200fwhp+ out of the zetec, you are looking at the following:

11.5:1+ compression pistons
rods... lighter the better!
FR head with an addition port and polish and a 0.015 deck to reeduce the quench area
crower valve train
big tune race header(kamikaze is the only option)
2.5" exhaust and flex
BIG cams
cam gears
UDP
oil pump work
swirl pot for the coolant
extrude honde FR intake manifold with FC 70mm TB OR a quad TB setup
SCT pro-racer tuner kit because nobody will do mailorder on high hp NA cars... if you are going with the FR intake manifold
DTA EXP48 standalone ECU if you go with the quad TBs
36lb/hr injectors
short ram intake with a forced or static cold air source(hood vent/scoop)

with high hp NA, you really need to spin the zetec to make the power
a redline of no less than 7500rpm or 8000rpm ideal.
you will need a clutch to hold the power, it does not need to be a really agressive disc just a PP with an assload of clamp force. an LSD and lower final drive are not needed but will help put the power to the ground!

200fwhp NA out of a zetec is not that hard to do, most people usually just give up after looking at how much money they have spent vs how much power they have and kick them self in the ass for not going with boost!

200fwhp in an Auto, would be such a waste!
ZX3TUNING,Aug 5 2005, 10:32 PM Wrote:200fwhp in an Auto, would be such a waste!
[right][snapback]128531[/snapback][/right]

Kinda sums it up all right there.... :(
I spos it would be, and with my new found problems. I have other things on my plate to finish.. so yea. Any one now were i can get a replacement passenger side mirror?