Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car's Broken Again
Well last week my fuel rail mount broke off the manifold.. its not actually the mount, its the screw in point on the manifold that broke.. it was tighten too much last time it was done. Anyway so I ordered an early 2000 manifold to replace mine with. Sucks to be paying for the whole piece just for that stupid cheap plastic screw in thingy but anyway. Was kind of a bitch to undo all the wires but its nice that all the connectors are different.. so you can't go wrong when replugging them. i couldn't reach the stud/bolt where the alternator is in front. I finally managed to get up and get everything off and ready to put the new one in.. was happy to find out the manifold i got in the mail, still had the throttle body on it, sensor in the back, egr still connected.. i think its from an automatic though..

I installed everything back on, started the car up and it had a bit of trouble stumbling at first but i had disconnected the fuel rail so i thought it was repressurizing or so.. but then the engine kept going up to like 6000rpm and then fall back and stall.. so i looked at the connectors, one was plugged just not "clicked".. still the same.. went up high in rpm and then stalls. So i checked vaccum lines etc.. the pcv was disconnected :rolleyes: so i had a huge leak in there.. reconnected it.. and then the car started fine.. i let idle for like 15 minutes. It hadn't ran for over a week, then i went for a ride. Car stumbled a bit when i floored it so i let off.. then after 5 minutes or so it was fine.

So i was just driving along for maybe another 10 minutes and started hearing a weird sound.. like spooling but alot louder.. at first i thought the turbo blew or something. So i stopped, looked under the hood.. smelled like exhaust.. the car was still pulling and everything and making boost. I then went to a buddies house and showed him and we found that it was my exhaust manifold flange and adapter plate that was leaking. There's no gasket (stock cat. doesn't have one either but theres like a "bevel" beed or whatever to form a seal. Anyway so i drove back home to park it and it was worse.. car was barely making boost (its leaking before the turbo) so it made sense.

Now what do i need to do.. could it be the turbo exhaust inlet that's been warped? or manifold.. or just the adapter plate between the two. I was going to buy some Permatex Copper High Temp silicone gasket maker and put it between the two connections. You guys think it'll hold? should i have real gaskets in there? it would need to be custom has there aren't any for the exh. manifold (there are for the t25 flange) Anyone tried it before for exhast leaks? I put some high temp red silicone from permatex but theres no copper.. and it holds up to 650*F (while the copper supports up to 700*F).. I let it dry over night so i haven't tried it again..

any ideas anyone? kinda pisses me off that it only took about 10 minutes to break again.. i dont understand why i did either.. its been running fine for the last 2-3 months.. oh and i tried retightening the bolts but it didn't do anything.. so there's probably something that's not "flat"..

thanks guys
ZX3T gone..
Change de char !!!!

:D

<<<Yeah, it's a Duratec. 2.3L. Want to have a go and see who walks and who rides?>>>
Focus ST , Not Stock [Image: vb_angel.gif]
That red gasket maker will melt off. Just an FYI.

It came off on my car.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
bah ya cassà moins que plusieurs autres focus qui sont encore stock :P
ZX3T gone..
BerinG,Aug 15 2005, 02:56 PM Wrote:bah ya cassà moins que plusieurs autres focus qui sont encore stock&nbsp; :P
[right][snapback]132778[/snapback][/right]

:D

You're right !

<<<Yeah, it's a Duratec. 2.3L. Want to have a go and see who walks and who rides?>>>
Focus ST , Not Stock [Image: vb_angel.gif]
Your could try the orange stuff. Alot of of guys use that plus it works pretty good. I used it on my manifold and still hasent melted off. JGS tools also sells a gasket goop thats supposed to be awsome.
what exacly is &quot;orange stuff&quot;.. who makes it? if i can save the trouble of getting or making a gasket.. ill try the easy stuff first..

which goop is it? can it be bought locally?

you used it on your exhaust manifold? are you boosted? what was the problem (or did you not ahve any)

thanks for the feedback
ZX3T gone..
make a real gasket, the orange goo wont cut it for you, too much pressure and heat at that location.

buy gasket maker sheet and cut your own. be done with it once and for all in the good way.
------------------------------------------------
-1991 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
-2002 Red SVT focus # 2262 - sold
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
i dont know i have a feeling it won't fill the whole thing with a normal gasket.. i mean if it doesn'T then i really haev a problem.. i dont really know how bad the leak is but you can clearly see it when i spit on the side of it and pull on the TB opening, the spit flies off

where can i get that gasket maker stuff.. any preference as far as material used? copper? aluminium?

oh and i forgot.. i DO have a gasket between the turbo and adapter plate.. just not the plate and manifold..

i dont know if its leaking under there though.. if it is then the palte is twisted or something
ZX3T gone..
BerinG,Aug 15 2005, 10:01 AM Wrote:i dont know i have a feeling it won't fill the whole thing with a normal gasket.. i mean if it doesn'T then i really haev a problem.. i dont really know how bad the leak is but you can clearly see it when i spit on the side of it and pull on the TB opening, the spit flies off

where can i get that gasket maker stuff.. any preference as far as material used? copper? aluminium?

oh and i forgot.. i DO have a gasket between the turbo and adapter plate.. just not the plate and manifold..

i dont know if its leaking under there though.. if it is then the palte is twisted or something
[right][snapback]132791[/snapback][/right]
You can pick up the gasket sheets at like NAPA auto parts.
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
I called the guy up at NAPA and asked him about the gasket maker .. but theres nothing like copper or aluminum and he said the other is not really for exhaust.. he can get the exhaust stuff but he said it'll be a bitch to make the gasket if you don't have the right tools.. you need a good press etc.. what kinds of gasket sheets are you guys talking about? is the material good for those temperature?

anyway.. he said that I should use some muffler cement (or muffler mender).. he said he used it himself for leaks and such and it worked great.. i don't know about leaks like mine where it seems the plate is warped but can't hurt to try..

FLO: did you use it on exhaust stuff?! i had a feeling it would burn off but i keep reading on alot of forums that people sue the red stuff .. actually more than the copper stuff.. saying that the copper one is good but the red stuff works jsut fine..

ill go after work to get that mender or wahtever its called.. maybe it'll fix it..
ZX3T gone..
I have no gasket between the turbo and header, Jay and I used that Red gasket stuff. It burned away on our 1st drive.
oh ok.. yeah thats right you dont have an adapter like me.. yours mates directly flange to flange.. i have an extra &quot;layer&quot; ... but it doesn'T leak yours does it? mine never leak.. it started yesterday and snowballed in a matter of minutes
ZX3T gone..
BerinG,Aug 15 2005, 01:20 PM Wrote:oh ok.. yeah thats right you dont have an adapter like me.. yours mates directly flange to flange.. i have an extra &quot;layer&quot; ... but it doesn'T leak yours does it? mine never leak.. it started yesterday and snowballed in a matter of minutes
[right][snapback]132807[/snapback][/right]

Yes it leaks. I have lots of 'little' things to do. :huh: ;) :rolleyes:

It was leaking since day 1.
mine is just too bad to run it like that.. its really sounds like ass and smells bad in the car.. its like a hole in the exhaust.. and well if it was at least making boost i could drive it anyway under low load it doesn't sound as bad..

i've read that some shorty headers or off-road pipes come with a gasket for that area.. would anyone have ever come across one on theirs? Who here as an offroad pipe?
ZX3T gone..