Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ebay Halo Hella Hid Conversion Update
Is the clear plastic lense going back on overtop when you're done?
i'd say leave the clear plastic off, and make sure the housing fits the fender and hood before you start to paint everything.

hate to see it come this far and have something little screw the entire project up.
'03 Focus SVT
wow, I thought I was crazy with the glass. :blink: :D

Im sure your not done yet, but that thing has a lot of sanding needed!! Cant wait to see the final project.....
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
guilty,Oct 4 2005, 09:50 PM Wrote:Is the clear plastic lense going back on overtop when you're done?
[right][snapback]146636[/snapback][/right]

yeah it is and there will be a body coloured eyelid going on too. One of the main reasons I didn't want to get real hellas or morettas or whatever you call em
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
quick update, I have found some time to work on the lights in between work, moving and my social life so the progress doesn't seem like much in the pictures but let me tell you looks are deceiving.. anyways the drivers side light is pretty much ready for final paint, but before that I need to get my LED clusters for the turns first... anyways pics:

[Image: CIMG1313.jpg]

before the final primer

[Image: CIMG1322.jpg]
[Image: CIMG1321.jpg]

After the final primer, ***NOTE: the top part of the light hasn't been touched because I an going to be adding an eye brow so that will be covered anyways, I don't want to waste time on it.

this is the status of the passenger light.

[Image: CIMG1320.jpg]
[Image: CIMG1318.jpg]

that's it for now. The part I am having issues with is getting both lights to look the same ( ie curves and what not ) I might not get them exactly the same but that's what you get for making both lights by hand for the first time. If I do this again I will have learnt a few things from this first run.....

Any feed back good or bad is always welcomed
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
hmm............. :mellow:

I'm kinda wanting to see the final look of it more now, I think your doing a good job so far nass....

Can't wait to see the final product. :D
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
I'll be very interesdted in how tis will hold up in extreme cold. B)

Good work so far though.....
Flofocus,Oct 25 2005, 07:20 PM Wrote:I'll be very interesdted in how tis will hold up in extreme cold.  B)

Good work so far though.....
[right][snapback]151412[/snapback][/right]

yeah if fiberglass had issues with cold weather, wouldn't bodykits crack and what not on their own? I am not worried about the heat generated from the lights since HIDs run way colder. It's a learning experience to say the least for me and possibly a few others out there. I'm just happy the way things have turned out thus far B)
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
nass,Oct 25 2005, 03:27 PM Wrote:yeah if fiberglass had issues with cold weather, wouldn't bodykits crack and what not on their own?

Well, this is a whole lot of bondo, which does not adhere well to plastic, bondo at least the pink stuff I see you have been using cracks when its very cold and it gets a good stone hit, etc....

I'm sure everything will be fine, and the good thing about fiberglass is its easily fixable.
hardk0re,Oct 25 2005, 03:37 PM Wrote:
nass,Oct 25 2005, 03:27 PM Wrote:yeah if fiberglass had issues with cold weather, wouldn't bodykits crack and what not on their own?

Well, this is a whole lot of bondo, which does not adhere well to plastic, bondo at least the pink stuff I see you have been using cracks when its very gold and it gets a good stone hit, etc....

I'm sure everything will be fine, and the good thing about fiberglass is its easily fixable.
[right][snapback]151424[/snapback][/right]

Those kits are mostly made out of fiberglass, barely ANY bondo used on those. Im sure the glass part will hold its own, its the bondo that will crack up quickly.
Flofocus,Oct 25 2005, 08:02 PM Wrote:
hardk0re,Oct 25 2005, 03:37 PM Wrote:

Well, this is a whole lot of bondo, which does not adhere well to plastic, bondo at least the pink stuff I see you have been using cracks when its very gold and it gets a good stone hit, etc....

[right][snapback]151424[/snapback][/right]

Those kits are mostly made out of fiberglass, barely ANY bondo used on those. Im sure the glass part will hold its own, its the bondo that will crack up quickly.
[right][snapback]151439[/snapback][/right]

well does it crack from just the cold, or from the cold and flexing?? I don't worry about stones cause the plastic cover will be installed
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
easier just buying the hellas from the start
ZX3TUNR,Oct 25 2005, 06:27 PM Wrote:easier just buying the hellas from the start
[right][snapback]151495[/snapback][/right]

You can't buy a sence of accomplishment.

Back to your emo cave.
ZX3TUNR,Oct 25 2005, 10:27 PM Wrote:easier just buying the hellas from the start
[right][snapback]151495[/snapback][/right]

yeah I could have just bought hella lights, but then I'd be riding in the back of a bandwagon instead of driving it, I said from the begining that I wanted something that was my own creation and that no one else would have.

Beside why would I pay over 400usd ( correct the price if I am off ) for lights when I can spend half that and have my own lights.

like AnthonyD said, back to your emo cave.
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
nass,Oct 25 2005, 04:09 PM Wrote:well does it crack from just the cold, or from the cold and flexing??  I don't worry about stones cause the plastic cover will be installed
[right][snapback]151443[/snapback][/right]

Both.

When I made the front grill, it was mostly made of bondo hair filler, I was constantly having to sand it down and refill cracks and s**t. The new grill is a mold of the old one and made mostly of fiberglass & very little amounts of filler, and now it doesnt crack anymore when I shut my hood.

I think this is a sweet project man. Good fawkin work. :lol: B)
Flofocus,Oct 26 2005, 12:34 AM Wrote:
nass,Oct 25 2005, 04:09 PM Wrote:well does it crack from just the cold, or from the cold and flexing??  I don't worry about stones cause the plastic cover will be installed
[right][snapback]151443[/snapback][/right]

Both.

When I made the front grill, it was mostly made of bondo hair filler, I was constantly having to sand it down and refill cracks and s**t. The new grill is a mold of the old one and made mostly of fiberglass & very little amounts of filler, and now it doesnt crack anymore when I shut my hood.

I think this is a sweet project man. Good fawkin work. :lol: B)
[right][snapback]151521[/snapback][/right]

see it was prolly cracking when you shut the hood cause you introduce some sort of force to the material and when it's cold it becomes britle, but since my lights shouldn't see any sort of force or anything I am hoping that things will be ok. I won't slam my hood close when it's cold out either now that I think of it :)

thanks, I think I will be open to making another set of these if someone wants since I know what to do now or maybe tail lights? :)
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
The primered one looks pretty freakin sweet so far dude... needs some more smoothing tho.
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
The bondo cracks because the plastic it is stuck to expands and contracts (heat and cold) at a different rate then the bondo itself does. So when they move at different "speeds" you can understand that eventually it splits and cracks.
Run your car, not your mouth
Raine,Oct 26 2005, 11:03 PM Wrote:The primered one looks pretty freakin sweet so far dude... needs some more smoothing tho.
[right][snapback]151803[/snapback][/right]

are you talking about the top of the light? cause that's getting covered by the eye brow... I could finish that part too but I'd rather not spend time on something that won't be seen
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
ZOOM,Oct 27 2005, 01:42 AM Wrote:The bondo cracks because the plastic it is stuck to expands and contracts (heat and cold) at a different rate then the bondo itself does. So when they move at different "speeds" you can understand that eventually it splits and cracks.
[right][snapback]151857[/snapback][/right]

what if it is laid ontop of fiberglass... does that make it better or worse?

the fiberglass is not ontop of any plastic besides where it meets the plastic on the sides.
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Halo Headlights On Ebay SL8RZZX3 13 5,837 11-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Last Post: smith21