Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleaning Rims
So since my car is now officially off summer mode, I'm going to be cleaning up a few things and one is my rims.

I don't usually clean them much as I should, and now I'm paying for it since they have some really bad black stuff on there (probably baked on brake stuff).

Anywho, anybody recommend on what to clean them with? Also any recommendations on what to use on the tires?

I would have PM'd KoolZX3 about this but I thought it would be better to post it here for others to share on the info.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
I use orange degreaser, let it soak for a minute or so and scrub away with my Mr Clean tire brush :) . Before storing them, I use a little Mothers Wheel Polish on em and give em a buff.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
if the rim cleaner dosent get it off use some rubbing compound. then wax it your rims to bring the shine back they will look new agian
2003 Zx3 French Blue
Super Hot water and soap..... and elbow grease.
Presure washer.
I use a powerball, works pretty good.
SVT ZX3,Nov 14 2005, 01:46 PM Wrote:Presure washer.
[right][snapback]155777[/snapback][/right]

get ready to replace your wheel bearings. ;) :rolleyes:

They'll go without using it (my case), so does it really matter? :P
Simple green a tooth brush and for the really PITA spots VIM.
I have a few cars.

One for my dog.
One that has no roof.
One that looks good parked at the golf course.
One that is being rebuilt by a guy named Nero..... will it ever be done?
Euro Ford Fan,Nov 14 2005, 03:14 PM Wrote:Simple green a tooth brush and for the really PITA spots VIM.
[right][snapback]155802[/snapback][/right]

Vim eh????

I'll have to try that.
ANTHONYD,Nov 14 2005, 02:41 PM Wrote:
SVT ZX3,Nov 14 2005, 01:46 PM Wrote:Presure washer.
[right][snapback]155777[/snapback][/right]

get ready to replace your wheel bearings. ;) :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]155791[/snapback][/right]

I just give them a quick spray, I don't really get right in there with it, but even so, is it that easy for water to get into the bearings??? If so than wouldn't every car that's washed with a pressure washer have the same problem? :huh: :unsure:
Can anybody validate this comment that a pressure washer will wreck wheel bearings?
SVT ZX3,Nov 15 2005, 04:19 PM Wrote:Can anybody validate this comment that a pressure washer will wreck wheel bearings?
[right][snapback]156101[/snapback][/right]

bah, a lot of people say things here :P

The truth is, I've had 3 bearings replaced on my focus and I dont use a pressure washer to wash my car. If they're gonna go, they wont need any help from a little water. :rolleyes:
So everything I read on here isn't true? :ph34r: Must be Anthony just blowing smoke out his ass again. ;)
SVT ZX3,Nov 15 2005, 04:30 PM Wrote:So everything I read on here isn't true? :ph34r:  Must be Anthony just blowing smoke out his ass again. ;)
[right][snapback]156106[/snapback][/right]

:lol:
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
EuroFordFan, Simple Green will eat aluminum if left long enough, so be careful. :ph34r:

The best comercial wheel cleaner that is on the market in Canada is Eagle One All Wheel & Tire Cleaner (grey bottle, blue label). Cleans rims very well (gets the dried brake dust our of the crevices and corners) and cleans tire nicely too (removes old tire dressing). It also has a foaming nozzle on it, so the cleaner comes out as a foam versus a spray, so it clings to the wheel & tire better.

Eagle One All Wheel & Tire Cleaner

Another good one I like is the Megiuar's All Wheel Cleaner. It works well, and was my number one cleaner until I tried the Eagle One.

Megiuar's All Wheel Cleaner

Meguiar's also just announced a whole bunch of new specialty wheel cleaners, for chrome and multi piece wheels.

One thing that can be done to make it easier later on is give them a good cleaning with a proper wheel cleaner, then a coat of a good wax / wheel protector. Once they are cleaned and one of these protectants are used, the brake dust washes off quite easily.

Meg's NXT Paste Wax
Wheel Wax
Poorboy's Wheel Sealant
Michelin Brake Dust Repellent

Degreasers (Simple Green, Orange Lightning, etc.) are just that. Degreasers. They do nothing to break down/remove brake dust. They aren't really designed for it. Get the $10 bottle of Eagle One, and be done with it. Just my two cents. :P

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
When my wheels are off the car I use Simoniz Bug and Tar remover to clean the wheels then Wheel Wax to protect them.

Cheers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning Rims , Brakedust zx5power 35 9,768 05-01-2007, 05:05 AM
Last Post: zx5power