Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People Reselling Xbox360's
I know one of our members is trying this and I was thinking about posting this in his thread, but I thought that would be wrong.

So in any event, I might as well post it here.

IMO, this practice of buying Xbox's and reselling them, on ebay or anywhere, is the equivalent of scalping tickets at hockey games. Some people are just plain greedy to do such a thing.

I also have a friend of mine who will be doing the same thing and he justifies it as follows:

-Buy xbox360 for like 500 bucks.
-Sell on ebay for 1500-2000 bucks.
-Buy new computer.

I don't know who's worse, the first customer/seller or the manufacturer Microsoft for limiting volumes to perpatrate such a buy/sell frenzy to cause so much hype around the sale.

Does anyone else think the same way? Discuss.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
If your gonna pay 1200-200 for an xbox, you need to get your head checked anyways.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
This is funny...

I tried the same thing with my PS2... someone bid $3000US on it, then renegged on the deal.. made up an excuse that ebay bought... meaning I lose money on posting the forsale ad, had to go through the arbitration process.

I say if anyone can pull it off, good luck, but be prepared for people to screw around with you. Oh, and some big box stores already have more in stock... and other stores say I wouldn't have to wait a week if I wanted one.

So why buy one for $2000? it's retarded.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

It's one of the only times that a mass-produced and mass-marketed material good completely dodges depreciation and becomes an item of envy and lust. It's capitalism to the fullest - making money off the desires of your fellow planet-dwellers.

I say do it. I'm rooting for Jeff (not a member here), but I am NOT bidding on his XBOX. With my luck, I'd win :ph34r:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I know someone who paid $1000 for a PS2 when they first came out. It's just dumb, I can't understand it, wait a few weeks or even a few months and pay retail or less.
If you pay more than what a store is selling it for...for a reason such as "you have to have it now" or "be the first"...whatever.

You need...

A. a new life/hobby

B. re-evaluate your current one

C. a girlfriend

D. some lube in your hand

just wait and save yourself that chucnk of cash. And that way you get to see what people think about it, and if there are any bugs, you about them and they would be fixed...

does anybosy have patience these days?

LIFE DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND VIDEO GAMES
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
FociPhil,Nov 23 2005, 01:25 PM Wrote:LIFE DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND VIDEO GAMES
[right][snapback]157245[/snapback][/right]

I'm gonna have to disagree on that one.

World of Warcraft pwnz me.

Some horde guy tried to sneak up on me yesterday while I was mining. He was a druid in a cat form and was hiding. Little benownced I spotted him and just before he struck, my pickaxe goes down and my sword slices him taking him down about half way. He started to run and jump off a cliff into the lake, i catch up and kill him in mid air just as he jumps. It rained blood to the low level monsters below.

That was my high point in the day yesterday.

Yes I'm a geek, SO!!!!

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Thanks for not posting in my thread. B)

You know what, I also thought about that.. but there wasn't gonna be enough Xbox 360 for everyone anyhow.. That's how they make "demand".. by limiting it.. they kept saying it everywhere...

Yes some of you might say I'm an asshole for buying 2 and reselling the other one.. but how? I was there yesterday morning at 7:45am (it was snowing too) I was up, and freezing my ass at walmart and my girlfriend was at zellers, they were sold out, then she went to bestbuy...and she got one there.

They said it, they said it a million times.. "they won't be able to fill all pre-orders".. "they're gonna be sold out in no time.." "they're not gonna be back til january" so I thought to myself.. i probably won't even be able to get one for myself.. but hey.. lucky me I got two.. so in the end, am I an idiot for selling it to someone who wants one but can't have one and is willing to pay more? I dont expect to sell mine a thousand dollars.. i did say i wouldn't sell it for less than what i paid.

Its supply and demand.. if people are too lazy to get off their ass and get one at the store early enough and wait like the rest of us who DID get one.. why would they complain? everyone had their chance if it was that important to them... me i just decided on monday that i'd go and try to get one.. its just like boxing day sales.. they have like 10 products at special price.. but hundreds come and try and get it.. if you can get there fast enough and get two, then good for you...

About being greedy well its like the hockey tickets you were talking about.. why are you mad that someone got those tickets first.. i doupt that they had a special permission to get the tickets in advance so how come you didn't get them? you could've..its like any company in the world are greedy... ahhh those assholes, they had an idea to build a game console and now they are selling it for 500$ even though it only cost them 300 to make it.. they're so greedy.. everyone is greedy then.. its opportunities.. some people just dont take advantage of them and then complain. Its the same for art, paintings costing up to a million dollars is retarded.. but some peolpe will buy them.. does that make the seller greedy? someone bought it.

Its like the early 2000 intake manifold.. I was selling one this summer.. and someone said that the price was too high.. ok fine.. I'm the guy that goes out of my way to find one for myself (mine broke), and then i find out that the scrap yard as two.. great. Since alot of people look for them, then i thought id sell it to focus people. Ok if you don't want to pay the price then why not go at the scrap yard yourself and get one. Its easy enough to do, and people can complain with the guy at the scrap yard.. but that is what they sell for and people are buying them so why not? I do all the leg work, and the calling around (long distance), have it shipped etc... and then you complain because i paid it cheaper than what im selling it for. Either you buy mine at whatever price.. or if you dont like it, then get one yourself.. after less than a week, i had sold my manifold. the person knows the price, the person is informed, so I am not forcing anyone to pay any price..

In the case of the xbox 360.. well if i was able to get one.. then anyone could've gotten one... I didn't do any preorder, nothing planned.. there was about 30 left at walmart when i left.. anyone could've walked in and grab one..

Sorry to be not too sympathetic.. but I was up early.. I was there.. I waited and i paid for it.. if anyone REALLY needed it that bad.. they would've had one..

well now, at least they still have the option of getting one, its only a matter of knowing how much you want to spend.. and when do you want it. Those people that bought for 1000$ might have been for their kids that have been crying all year to have it for christmas.. and if they can't deliver...

Anyway its all good, im not insulted or anything by the whole thread.. I just thought i'd explain myself a bit more.. No I'm not trying to make a grand with it but if someone comes tomorrow and says, ill give you a grand.. then great.. ill take it. I even said to make offers on it.. on ebay.. I'm not offering it at the starting price of 460...

so now im gonna go play some PGR3 in HD with my wireless controller and optical sound signal :lol:
ZX3T gone..
Oh, and scalping tickets is cold... cause they do it right outside the venue. That's like reselling your XBox 360 right outside Zellers or whereverthefack you bought it. Except unlike scalpers who can afford to pay off the cops, you're getting hauled off to jail.

At least these guys are doing it in a place where only the determined can get to it.

BerinG, that place is not HERE. Very not cool. :angry:

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
are you kidding me ? Are you pissed because you couldn't get one yesterday? as if noone on this forum ever sold anything that was overpriced.. i didn't even put a price tag on mine.. its like when turbo tom only had his 5200$ turbo kit.. people kept complaining.. bla bla... then people came out with other cheaper kits, but he still kept his price, and people still bought it.. is he greedy because the kit is not worth 5200$ when he makes it..
ZX3T gone..
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 23 2005, 02:38 PM Wrote:Oh, and scalping tickets is cold... cause they do it right outside the venue. That's like reselling your XBox 360 right outside Zellers or whereverthefack you bought it. Except unlike scalpers who can afford to pay off the cops, you're getting hauled off to jail.

At least these guys are doing it in a place where only the determined can get to it.

[right][snapback]157271[/snapback][/right]

Price gouging my friends, price gouging.

Oscar The Grouch,Nov 23 2005, 05:42 PM Wrote:
FociPhil,Nov 23 2005, 01:25 PM Wrote:LIFE DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND VIDEO GAMES
[right][snapback]157245[/snapback][/right]

I'm gonna have to disagree on that one.

World of Warcraft pwnz me.

Some horde guy tried to sneak up on me yesterday while I was mining. He was a druid in a cat form and was hiding. Little benownced I spotted him and just before he struck, my pickaxe goes down and my sword slices him taking him down about half way. He started to run and jump off a cliff into the lake, i catch up and kill him in mid air just as he jumps. It rained blood to the low level monsters below.

That was my high point in the day yesterday.

Yes I'm a geek, SO!!!!
[right][snapback]157253[/snapback][/right]

Sounds cool... ok so YOUR life revolves around video games.

But there are a hand full of other cooler things you could be doing. And spending your money on.
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
BerinG,Nov 23 2005, 02:47 PM Wrote:are you kidding me ? Are you pissed because you couldn't get one yesterday? as if noone on this forum ever sold anything that was overpriced.. i didn't even put a price tag on mine.. its like when turbo tom only had his 5200$ turbo kit.. people kept complaining.. bla bla... then people came out with other cheaper kits, but he still kept his price, and people still bought it.. is he greedy because the kit is not worth 5200$ when he makes it..
[right][snapback]157274[/snapback][/right]

First of all, turbo tom is in the business of TURBOS. Are you in the business of selling xbox's???

also i've mentionned in other threads...

CONSOLES SUCK!!!

and no, i've never sold anything overpriced. and if i did sell anything overpriced, it wouldn't be much, probably just enough for shipping and enough for a beer.

Oscar The Grouch,Nov 23 2005, 02:47 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 23 2005, 02:38 PM Wrote:Oh, and scalping tickets is cold... cause they do it right outside the venue. That's like reselling your XBox 360 right outside Zellers or whereverthefack you bought it. Except unlike scalpers who can afford to pay off the cops, you're getting hauled off to jail.

[right][snapback]157271[/snapback][/right]

Price gouging my friends, price gouging.
[right][snapback]157275[/snapback][/right]

Supply and demand my friends.. haven't you ever taken economics classes?

What if the scalper doesn't sell his tickets in the end.. whos losing.. the people not buying it? or the scalper? what is the scalper DOES get to sell his tickets to someone.. whos losing in the end? no one, because the person is not gonna get tickets elsewhere, and if they are willing to pay the price for it, then thats THEIR decision. You make it seem like scalpers pick your pocket and steal your money.. they dont.. alot of people buy tickets from scalpers on the day of the even because they did not get any tickets or they were just too late or whatever reasons..
ZX3T gone..
BerinG,Nov 23 2005, 01:47 PM Wrote:are you kidding me ? Are you pissed because you couldn't get one yesterday? as if noone on this forum ever sold anything that was overpriced.. i didn't even put a price tag on mine.. its like when turbo tom only had his 5200$ turbo kit.. people kept complaining.. bla bla... then people came out with other cheaper kits, but he still kept his price, and people still bought it.. is he greedy because the kit is not worth 5200$ when he makes it..

What part of what I've said elsewhere wasn't clear?

Gouging members here isn't right, even Puppet has said so.

Ebay was designed for just this, so take it there and make your money there. Don't like it? Leave!

I've endorsed the resale to COMPLETE AND UTTER FUKTARDS. That's not me, unfortunately. I won't be purchasing one, at least not for many months. I have other things that need worrying about, like a new set of furniture and a... HDTV-capable projector :o

For Tom to keep selling his kits at that price shows proven value. Purchasing an XBox 360 at ANY premium at this point for the exclusive reason of owning it to play it shows maniacal levels of fanboiness, plain and simple. It doesn't show value. Your argument is flawed, defeated, and tossed in the toilet. Flussssssssh.

Buying things used here at different prices is NOT gouging, and further to that there can be way too many criteria to determine the worth of a particular piece of equipment when it is used - including availability, condition and reputation of the manufacturer. Right now it's supply and demand well beyond retail for the XBox 360 and that's not the way they want it done here. What's so hard to understand about COMMUNITY. Ebay is NOT a community. We are.

EDITed for grammar and spelling mistakes. Whoops.

Oscar The Grouch,Nov 23 2005, 02:52 PM Wrote:First of all, turbo tom is in the business of TURBOS.  Are you in the business of selling xbox's???

also i've mentionned in other threads...

CONSOLES SUCK!!!

well as of yesterday, im in the business of selling one xbox.. so turbotom isn't greedy to make a company and make profit out of people buying his kit when it could be alot cheaper or you could do it yourself. You dont know me, you ahve no clue, I did not think spending 5200$ us on a turbo kit was worth it.. you know what I did ? I made one..why? caus i can! Why werent YOU in line yesterday at walmart or any other stores.. I was able to get 2 here, how can that be? i woke up a few minutes earlier so i could wait 15 minutes... why aren't you making turbo kits and making money off people?

And in case turbotom sees this, i don't think anything bad of you or your company.. or the way you do business.. you can do whatever you want.. if people aren't happy? they can go elsewhere right?

Quote:and no, i've never sold anything overpriced.  and if i did sell anything overpriced, it wouldn't be much, probably just enough for shipping and enough for a beer.
[right][snapback]157281[/snapback][/right]

you greedy bastard :D
ZX3T gone..
I'm not against people making money off of selling their xboxes. I'd just prefer that people do that on ebay or other sites who's business it is to do such.

The for sale section is more for people to recoup costs, or offer something of benefit to members. Otherwise, if I let people sell wares for the sole purpose of profit, I'd have to start charging people for their ads.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

BerinG,Nov 23 2005, 02:57 PM Wrote:i woke up a few minutes earlier so i could wait 15 minutes... why aren't you making turbo kits and making money off people?
[right][snapback]157285[/snapback][/right]

1. That's exactly how scalpers do it. They get to the game early, buy lots of tickets, then sell them at very high prices, either fixed or when people will bid with the scalper.

2. Cause i'm not in the business of making turbos. I am a purchasing agent with a background in accounting and business as well. I know pretty much all the ins and outs of buying, selling, trading, demand (both elastic and inelastic), supply, price points, EOQ's, supply chains, demand curves, points of equilibrium with supply and demand, etc, etc, etc.

If you would sell this ethically as of now, sell it with a 10% markup above your cost to cover travel and your time.

NOS2Go4Me,Nov 23 2005, 02:54 PM Wrote:
BerinG,Nov 23 2005, 01:47 PM Wrote:are you kidding me ? Are you pissed because you couldn't get one yesterday? as if noone on this forum ever sold anything that was overpriced.. i didn't even put a price tag on mine.. its like when turbo tom only had his 5200$ turbo kit.. people kept complaining.. bla bla... then people came out with other cheaper kits, but he still kept his price, and people still bought it.. is he greedy because the kit is not worth 5200$ when he makes it..

What part of what I've said elsewhere wasn't clear?

Gouging members here isn't right, even Puppet has said so.

Ebay was designed for just this, so take it there and make your money there. Don't like it? Leave!

I've endorsed the resale to COMPLETE AND UTTER FUKTARDS. That's not me, unfortunately. I won't be purchasing one, at least not for many months. I have other things that need worrying about, like a new set of furniture and a... HDTV-capable projector :o

For Tom to keep selling his kits at that price shows proven value. Purchasing an XBox 360 at ANY premium at this point for the exclusive reason of owning it to play it shows maniacal levels of fanboiness, plain and simple. It doesn't show value. Your argument is flawed, defeated, and tossed in the toilet. Flussssssssh.

Buying things used here at different prices is NOT gouging, and further to that there can be way too many criteria to determine the worth of a particular piece of equipment when it is used - including availability, condition and reputation of the manufacturer. Right now it's supply and demand well beyond retail for the XBox 360 and that's not the way they want it done here. What's so hard to understand about COMMUNITY. Ebay is NOT a community. We are.

EDITed for grammar and spelling mistakes. Whoops.
[right][snapback]157284[/snapback][/right]

I dont think you get it.. I do understand what you're saying.. and as for turbotom.. YOU are wrong and you are contradicting yourself. Theres criterias that determine the price of a particular piece.. and you said it yourself, availability is one of them. I dont see how a used and new product would differ that way. Either its available, or its not available.. Ford sells their overpriced early 2000 intake manifolds, but people still dont go and buy them from ford and it seems as thought the product demand is high even if the supply is there.. people just dont want to pay for it.. they buy used ones at all different prices. As much as people are assholes, people are very cheap and want everything for nothing. Always comes down to supply and demand in its basic form.. whether its supply at resaonable price.. or supply in quality and alternatives, or just plan quantity etc... its always supply and demand.. the reason why tom kept selling his kits at that price is that no one else was offering tuning back then.. he could've easily put his price down but he didn't. Yes its an expensive kit, but its not 5200$... tom never forced anyone to buy it at that price..and even though the aerocharger was out and available (and very good kit also even though only had a 5th injector), he still kept his price up. i am doing exacly the same thnig.. except me.. i dont have a price.. right now, the price in my thread is 470$.. thats exacly how much i paid and yet.. no one even offered that much yet.. maybe ill get a few posts with lowballers and cheapos like everyone gets in any thread and then they say the seller's greedy....
ZX3T gone..
Oscar The Grouch,Nov 23 2005, 02:08 PM Wrote:
BerinG,Nov 23 2005, 02:57 PM Wrote:i woke up a few minutes earlier so i could wait 15 minutes... why aren't you making turbo kits and making money off people?
[right][snapback]157285[/snapback][/right]
2. Cause i'm not in the business of making turbos. I am a purchasing agent with a background in accounting and business as well. I know pretty much all the ins and outs of buying, selling, trading, demand (both elastic and inelastic), supply, price points, EOQ's, supply chains, demand curves, points of equilibrium with supply and demand, etc, etc, etc.
[right][snapback]157288[/snapback][/right]

But you still have a hard time renting me the car I ask for... time for more hot chocolate? :D