Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotors And Pads Help
I have ordered my new pads and rotors and need to replace them asap. I wanna do it on my own or at the very least with some friends. If you all could lend a hand in pointing me to some useful walk throughs or can post some info and useful tips to help me out. How long of a job is this gonna take? 1 hour? Two hours? Is it very hard? Anything to look out for in particular? Please respond asap! I need to get all my info by tuesday morning when I get the pads and rotors.

If any has done their own it would be greatly appreciated for the pointers!
Run your car, not your mouth
Very simple job....just put the car on jack stands and remove the fron wheels. On the back of the caliper there are 2 rubber dust caps. Remove them and there is a large hex bolt under it. Remove the 2 bolts and the caliper should pull off. Hang the caliper with a piece of wire and pull off the rotor. It might be a little rusty and need a little force (rubber mallet) but it will come off. Replace the rotor and put the new pads in. Replace the caliper an use brake cleaner to get everything clean before putting the wheels back on.

Shouldn't take more than an hour...have a search for proper break-in procedures so that you get the best performance out of your new brakes.

Focus Hacks

I'm also doing my brakes this week.
what pads / rotors did you choose?

I went with ebc green stuff pads and ebc crossdrilled and slotted rotors. :)
rallyfocus,Sep 26 2004, 03:17 PM Wrote:Very simple job....just put the car on jack stands and remove the fron wheels. On the back of the caliper there are 2 rubber dust caps. Remove them and there is a large hex bolt under it. Remove the 2 bolts and the caliper should pull off. Hang the caliper with a piece of wire and pull off the rotor. It might be a little rusty and need a little force (rubber mallet) but it will come off. Replace the rotor and put the new pads in. Replace the caliper an use brake cleaner to get everything clean before putting the wheels back on.

Shouldn't take more than an hour...have a search for proper break-in procedures so that you get the best performance out of your new brakes.
Just a quick tip to add on....

Have a C-clamp handy to open the caliper piston all the way. Some do it with their bare hands, I wasnt able to all. Just slide a peice of wood in it and tighten the clamp, it should "squish" the piston right down.

First time ever doing brakes took me 2 hours (on my sisters old golf). I can do the foucs in an hour now.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
[QUOTE]I went with ebc green stuff pads and ebc crossdrilled and slotted rotors. [QUOTE]

Tell me how you like your new brakes after they are installed. I was thinking about getting the same brakes when mine finally expire.
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
gotta plug carbotech brakes-we 1st ran porterfield r4's on the race car but have switched to carbotech xp9's. simply amazing pads. 1st set lasted through 2 race weekends and 6 where i was instructing and am on track for many many hours. still had half life left! i was amazed. and god do they stop the car.
I have heard good things about Williams Performance Friction, from friends that run track events.

A plus, they are a Canadian company working out of Toronto. I'm not sure they have made a Focus fitment yet, but I'm sure you could get them to make you a set or two.

Eric
http://www.wpfri.com/
Quote:what pads / rotors did you choose?

I went with the Hawk HPS pads, I've heard nothing but great things about them.

My rotors were recently replaced under warranty, so I'll see how long they'll last with the hawk pads.
Hey Ass,

Where did you get your brake parts from? Can I ask how much the rotors were?
I paid just over 300 for both rotors and a set of pads.

:D Heck of a deal if I say so myself.
Twas a late night mod. Ended just now (1:20 am) we started around 12:30 ish? Took me and Marc just over an hour I think to get this job done. First side took about 60% second side 40%.

Thanks goes out to:

DD1-Don: for lending me your jack + stands

French-Connection-Marc: For helping with those stubborn lug nuts. :) Thanks for the tips bro! Much thanks.

:) I love the no-noise factor. :D If you ask marc he can tell you just how worn out my pads and rotors were...

And no we didn't need a clamp to push the piston back in. You pansies who needed clamps! Bah!!! I pushed it in with my BARE HANDS!!! GRRRRRRR!!!
Ass,Sep 30 2004, 01:21 AM Wrote:And no we didn't need a clamp to push the piston back in. You pansies who needed clamps! Bah!!! I pushed it in with my BARE HANDS!!! GRRRRRRR!!!
Liar.

I've seen pics of you, your small and puny :P

jk
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Hey Guys,

About the brakes dont forget to Anti-Seize everything (the bolts anyways), it will help alot for your next brake job (barely any rust at all). You can get Anti-Seize at Canadian Tire.

Matt :)
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
arskiker,Sep 27 2004, 01:52 PM Wrote:I have heard good things about Williams Performance Friction, from friends that run track events.

A plus, they are a Canadian company working out of Toronto. I'm not sure they have made a Focus fitment yet, but I'm sure you could get them to make you a set or two.

Eric
WPFI makes fantastic brake pads. I have them on my race car and street car and will be putting them on my truck.

They can custom make a set of pads for any car.

Support a 100% fantastic Canadian company.
I have a few cars.

One for my dog.
One that has no roof.
One that looks good parked at the golf course.
One that is being rebuilt by a guy named Nero..... will it ever be done?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anybody Replace There Pads Or Rotors... FociPhil 3 1,442 07-24-2005, 04:04 AM
Last Post: SDPZX3