Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lsd For A Focus
Is it poosible to get a LSD tranny for a focus or to atleast install it or is a beafed up differential good enough? rPlease anyone with info i need to shed some light on this subject
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
I may know of a used one for sale...interested?
it is possible to get an LSD for the MTX75 Transaxle. there are 3 options to look at Phantom Grip, Torsen, and Quaife.

The Phantome Grip is pretty much crap. Just an insert inside the differential to make it kind of an LSD. If your already in the transmission you might as well do the entire diff.

Torsen is fairly new don't know what kinda info is out there, but from its not as good as the third option.

Quaife ATB is the best option. Its an automatice torque biasing diff and has been used in the Focus RS, its been proven before so i'd look at that.

maybe a set of gear, i don't know to much about them but I've heard of some people running 4.08 gear for the final drive. someone can correct me if i'm wrong.
'03 Focus SVT
The 4.08 gears are available but i think that they're only really used in NA cars. I think if you're going to boost the car its best to leave the stock gear ratio alone.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Both the Torsen T2 and the Quafe are the same internal design. I have yet to see a torsen break, think about it do you need to spend double on a Quaife to get the lifetime warranty, when something else on our car will die before that.

For both of these diffs output is 50/50 between both wheels when your driving stragith. The Quaife has a 2-1 biasing ratio, this will take 66% of the power away from the wheel that spins and send it to the wheel that has grip. The torsen has 3-1 biasing ratio, that will take 75% of the power away from the wheel that is spinning and send it to the wheel with grip.

On a turn the power is sent to the outside wheel rather than how it is now the inside wheel lights up. (well on a hard fast turn).

The torsen is said to only have an HP rating of 500hp, the quaife claims around 800hp.

There is another thats mostly used for offroad/ralley, the KAAZ differential I don't have much details on this other than it is a clutch type differential, needs a good amount of break in with special fluid and requires user calibration for the wheel lockup characteristics required.

For your gears, only 4.06 gears are available from ford racing. I think that for someone that is Normally Aspirated or someone with a near stock torque curve it would be beneficial. I think that being turbo these gears may hinder the output to the wheels. ie: at the track you will light them up ALLOT quicker!

While your doing tranny work maybe think about a new clutch, and possibly a lightened flywheel.
there is something wrong with my thought pattern cause when I read this I though of acid :huh:
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
nass,Apr 2 2006, 03:43 PM Wrote:there is something wrong with my thought pattern cause when I read this I though of acid  :huh:
[right][snapback]178637[/snapback][/right]
:iono:

Surfing FC.net while high may cause permanent damage. :P
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

I went with a T2.....review in about 3 weeks. :D
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
I apprecite the help looking forward to the review flo
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
yeah, if anything, I would say I like the specs on the Torsens a bit better than the quaiffe... especially since the quaiffe doesn't direct as much torque as the torsen.

one thing, both differentials do out of the box, is absolutely nothing if you have a wheel hung in the air. These difs only work if there's torque applied to both wheels.

But I do know that you can get Torsens that are pre-loaded so that even if a wheel is in the air, torque will get redirected to the grippy wheel.

Coupled with the cost advantages, I dunno.. the torsen just seems better.

of course, if an engineer wants to speak up with their thoughts, I wouldn't mind hearing their opinion.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Thing is with an engineer, its just that, an opinion....an educated one, yes, but still an opinion I could care less about.

I'd rather read a review between the 2 from a real world racer than an opinion of an engineer.

Guess Rob qualifies for both then eh!! ;)

With everything Ive read, and researched, the T2 seems like the better bang for your buck :)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
I agree
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!