Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test Drove A V6 Mustang Convertible
darkpuppet,May 19 2006, 06:02 AM Wrote:Me personally, I could never see the mustang as a performance car.  It's not.  It's a muscle car sure, and the purest form of the muscle car is the GT.  But what do muscle cars do?  Go in a straight line... the odometer should be marked out in 1/4 mile increments...

Anyone who's buying a mustang under the premise of buying a sportscar are deluding themselves.  They're not buying a sportscar, they're buying a truck.

And it takes a helluva lot of work to make a sportscar out of a truck.  The GT ups the performance by putting in stiffer suspension, a bigger engine and LSD.  However all of these things combine to show every flaw in the chasis and drivetrain as well. 

Clunky gearbox, frame shimmy, axle shimmy.. ugh... I know that musclecar enthusiasts don't care about this so long as the car can drive straight, but man, it's a bitter pill for me to swallow... especially for the price of doing it.
[right][snapback]188579[/snapback][/right]

I have to completely disagree with this, You've got an SHM suspension on your focus....Have you ever gone for a ride in any Mustang that Sean Hyland has prepared??? Not that I know much about your Focus, but I'm sure that there are a few stangs out there who could keep up with it or better on track with out breaking the bank. No the Mustang is not a true sports car as you describe, but with a little work it can easily become more than a "one trick pony". The S197 cars are a good platform to start with and take from there. At my local auto-x events there a couple of moddified 05 GT Mustangs that do just as well as the STI's/S2000's/350Z cars that have similar mods. No, the Mustang is not as refind as the others, but to compare it to driving a truck is just rediculous IMO.

darkpuppet,May 19 2006, 06:02 AM Wrote:So what's the point in even buying a mustang?  Honestly, it's for the uneducated public who think they're getting a sportscar, and for those who are looking to buy something with image.
[right][snapback]188487[/snapback][/right]

Yes some buy for the image, but some buy for the RWD. Some buy for the sound and feeling of a V8, that no V6 or FI'd 4 cyl can repalicate. MANY people know exactly what they are buying when the get a Mustang (flaws included), but to say that "it's for the uneducated public who think they're getting a sportscar" is a pretty inacurate statement.

Messages In This Thread
Test Drove A V6 Mustang Convertible - naz - 05-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Test Drove A V6 Mustang Convertible - naz - 05-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Test Drove A V6 Mustang Convertible - naz - 05-19-2006, 03:02 AM
Test Drove A V6 Mustang Convertible - naz - 05-19-2006, 05:46 AM
Test Drove A V6 Mustang Convertible - naz - 05-19-2006, 05:56 AM
Test Drove A V6 Mustang Convertible - SVT ZX3 - 05-20-2006, 08:07 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Test Drove An Ecoboost... Drivesthebeast 15 5,398 04-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Drivesthebeast
  Test Drive: 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby Gt500 SVT ZX3 4 2,195 06-21-2006, 02:52 AM
Last Post: SVTmonkey