Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ontario To Spend $3.4b On Roads, Bridges, Highways
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 22 2006, 05:28 PM Wrote:The sad part is... the elitist crap of new "luxury" subdivisions in areas never meant to handle the loads make the residents cry out for new/upgraded roads. The existing highways that were never meant to have the extra traffic subsequently have to be upgraded then as well. The spread carries further out (Barrie is a "bedroom community" now... that's pure bunk) and the lemmings expect to get to their jobs almost as quick as they can from Milton/Mississauga/Oshawa/Whitby.

There has to be a line drawn. s*** can't keep expanding forever.
[right][snapback]194788[/snapback][/right]

I hear ya - but the way you describe the problem is way too simplistic. There are few places on the planet where development is more tightly controlled than the GTA.

But companies want to locate where there's decent transportation, decent support infrastructure, a decent local market and a workforce ... and municipalities faced with ever increasing costs and a reduction in transfers from the province, are continually approving new development (residential and commercial) because they need the increased tax revenue.

The partner that isn't playing their part in this inevitable dynamic is the province -- and they've let things get to a state where even catch-up is bloody expensive and time consuming. And don't forget -- unless you're talking about subways (terribly expensive) a good transit systems needs a good working road system too.

Maybe what we need is for the province to force a half million folks to move to North Bay -- that would sure ease some pressure on the roads here.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *

Messages In This Thread
Ontario To Spend $3.4b On Roads, Bridges, Highways - ZTWsquared - 06-23-2006, 08:43 AM