Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police Hope Deadly Crash Video Acts As Deterrent
There's so much at work here, and so many factors raised - it's hard to keep track of what is really salient.

Some thoughts:

1) He was a refugee claimant which suggests some sort of legal status. I tried Adam to find a connection as to why they mentioned it ... it was at a point in the video where he was heard talking a foreign language, but they didn't seem to infer his actions were related to his citizenship or ethnicity.

2) They didn't say if he owned the bike - if he did, that would suggest he was licensed, or alternately the dealership didn't check his license status. Or maybe he bought it used -- who knows -- not enough info from the story.

If he was properly licensed I should think a re-vamp of the training and licensing requirements might be in order ... and not just because of this incident -- we all see motorcyclists doing this stuff regularly.

3)He was obviously very inexperienced - not only was he not wearing leathers or proper boots, he wasn't even wearing gloves at first - at that temp and at that speed his hands must have been almost paralyzed from cold.

I used to race motorcycles when I was single (between wife #1 and wife #2) and you can often feel the onset of a high speed wobble and correct for it (takes a solid grip) -- and if you've been riding for even a few months you quickly learn to recognize the type of road surface that can help cause it. Improper tire inflation can often be a cause, and given the snow on the ground (Superbowl weekend) they were probably also riding on rubber that was far too cold for proper handling.

4) The "racing" dynamic was also obviously at work here ... I seriously doubt he would have been driving that fast or that recklessly had he been riding alone. This video just reinforces in mind the need for special sentences for those deemed to have been racing.

Having said that ... I somehow doubt that this group would have been deterred by the prospect of heavier sentencing - just a hunch.

5) I'm not sure how often additional fatalaties happen - usually the rider simply kills themself - but in any event, I'm beginning to wonder how much responsibility the bike manfucturer should be asked to take for making a machine capable of 250 kph -- and basically selling it to anyone with a relatively useless license and the cash or credit.

6) And finally, I really feel for the families of the victims (and even the rider) - I can't help but think of my wife and kids on the road everyday and I gotta tell you, this stuff makes me more and more nervous and angry every day.

Maybe it's just of symptom of getting / being "old" - but my tolerance level is down to nil -- this stuff on our roads simply has to stop.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *

Messages In This Thread
Police Hope Deadly Crash Video Acts As Deterrent - ZTWsquared - 08-29-2006, 11:57 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Police Brutality Backfires(video) coolsvt 9 2,982 07-19-2007, 03:27 AM
Last Post: focusracer
  Friday Video: Darth Vader Vs Japanese Police darkpuppet 6 2,334 04-09-2006, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Frost__2001
  Tunnel-crash Video Scorpion 7 2,693 04-05-2006, 04:59 AM
Last Post: ZX3_2NV