Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie Looking For Help
Hi there, and welcome to FC!
In terms of your questions, I have some answers of my own.

1. I put an aftercat exhaust (most commonly and mistakenly called a "cat-back") on my 01 ZX3, and it's the MBRP. It's mandrel bent, tig welded, T304 Stainless, front to rear, with a cylinder resonator and muffler, both of which are hidden under the car, leaving you just with the end pipe and polished tip somewhat visable from the side and rear...NO FART Can. It's canadian made and sold, in Huntsville ON. It's also economical, and it's big enough (2.25" front to rear with a 4" tip) that it'll accomodate mild Forced induction. You can't/won't beat it for the price, and the number of FC.net members who have it on their cars like me speaks for itself.

2. In terms of the brakes, go to Canadian Tire and buy High Heat Engine Enamel to paint the drums. This is what I did to my own car, painted them black, and makes the drums almost invisable behind my SVT Euro rims. It's quick, cures and looks good after using a heatgun to bake it on, and lasts quite a while. Also you'll have no worries with heat, as the paint is used on engine blocks and accesories under the hood.

3. In terms of the tires, you'll have to make sure that whomever you deal with will give you the correct info. I deal with Main West Firestone most of the time In Hamilton on my holidays, and they have all of the correct info there. The correct offset, load index, overall diameter, torque specs, tire pressure, etc, for EACH tire that they sell, and with the info correlating with YOUR vehicle, both in the stock size, and in plus sizes. My 17" tires only offset my speedometer by about 1.5 kms per hour. If you are interested in buying rims, your best bet is to get a correct 4-bolt 108x4 pattern rim, NOT a universal/"Tuner" rims with multiple drillouts. The universal ones are a lot weaker structurally. Also, make sure that you have the correct offset too. This will make a big difference in the way the car responds. So does having a tire that's not too wide. Tires that are too wide will have a more flexible sidewall, will have a bigger contact patch that leads to plowing in corners, etc. Those things will actually make the car steer and respond WORSE than the oem sized wheel and tire. For example, certain 17" rims work best with a 205 width tire, while others work better with a 215. The 215/45 17 is actually what Stock SVT rims call for.

4. Intake....AEM all the way, or Injen. Yes, they are the most pricey (Injen being highest), but they were speciffically engineered for your vehicle, and have dyno tuning and other R&D to back up HP gains. Not only do they give you the info at the AEM website, but Focaljet.com had threads about intakes, and the AEM gave consistent power gains across the mid and upper RPMs. A lot of them will sacrifice low end torque, but will give you a boost higher up.

Hope some of that info I gave you helps...

Also, take a look at my post about the folks North and East of the GTA...

L8tr! :hi:
Bleeding Ford Blue again...

Messages In This Thread
Newbie Looking For Help - Fader - 09-16-2006, 05:07 AM
Newbie Looking For Help - Oscar The Grouch - 09-16-2006, 05:24 AM
Newbie Looking For Help - Flofocus - 09-16-2006, 05:48 AM
Newbie Looking For Help - ZX5focused - 09-16-2006, 05:54 AM
Newbie Looking For Help - Flofocus - 09-16-2006, 06:04 AM
Newbie Looking For Help - focusonthis_88 - 09-16-2006, 06:52 AM
Newbie Looking For Help - Drivesthebeast - 09-17-2006, 07:08 AM
Newbie Looking For Help - Fader - 09-19-2006, 06:38 AM
Newbie Looking For Help - ZX3guy2000 - 09-19-2006, 12:17 PM