Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Do You Think About Ford Escape?
NOS2Go4Me,Sep 27 2006, 08:20 AM Wrote:Well, from what I've seen and briefly experienced, it's a small SUV that tries to be a car and somewhat fails at both.

In the SUV department, it can be found with AWD but the base offering has FWD - great for economy but terrible for SUV-ish stuff. In the car department, it has the weight of a (smaller) SUV to contend with at all times. Although it has a 200HP V6, the performance isn't exactly "sparkling". Fuel economy is 23 MPG on the highway, but that's the US's EPA rating, which is either better or worse than the subject vehicle in reality.

It seats 5 people, tops, and while it does well in crash ratings and can be found with a raft of options... does it really warrant moving away from a 2001 ZTS? Unless you're hauling a 2000-3000 lb trailer or in dire need of AWD, I'd say no.

If you want AWD with about the same performance, better fuel economy and much better handling, go find yourself a Subaru Impreza RS or TS.

It's also a good thing you're looking upscale in the offerings, because the 2.0L offered in base models is the Zetec (which performs even worse than in the Focus, obviously). 2005 and up models get the 2.3L Duratec from the Focus/Fusion with 153HP, which would make more sense for an economy / performance balance.
[right][snapback]208686[/snapback][/right]
Have you ever been in one? Driven one?
Becasue they are relatively comfortable for a cheap econobox entry level SUV.
They get decent gas mileage and are peppy enough (they'll out run an SPI anyday)
They are what they are. A simple vehicle. If you want more, pay more.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.

Messages In This Thread
What Do You Think About Ford Escape? - meford4u - 09-28-2006, 02:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ford Escape focusonthis_88 14 4,085 08-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Drivesthebeast
  Ford Escape focuspilot23 6 2,078 12-15-2006, 08:35 AM
Last Post: focuspilot23