Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building A New Pc.. First Time Opinions?
I have the same HD in my system at home... they're stupid fast AND quiet.

Core 2 Duos and Quads outrun the Opteron 1xx and 12xx processors, but for most gaming it's e-penis measuring. I'm playing all new stuff on my Opteron 170 S939 with an ATI X800XL.

Other than that, make sure you have plenty of good case ventilation at the expense of a few dB. It'll prolong the life of your system's components immensely.

EDIT - I have a DFI SLI-DR motherboard. It's great for RAM timings and the capability to have 8 SATA drives running potentially.

Just make sure that if your mobo comes with 2 SATA controllers, keep your SATA2 HD on the SATA2 controller (unlike my board, whose second controller is a SATA1 Silicon Image 3114).

As for RAM, 2GB for sure for top end performance. Some folks are going 4GB and really, if you're a RAM whore, it can't hurt. There are some timing issues with running 4 1GB sticks of RAM on Athlon 64 boxen - give me a shout if you need a hand configuring one.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Messages In This Thread
Building A New Pc.. First Time Opinions? - NOS2Go4Me - 01-15-2007, 04:07 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Poker Table - First Time Building One FireTent 5 2,026 06-26-2005, 03:24 PM
Last Post: FireTent