Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prius Outdoes Hummer In Environmental Damage
Frost__2001,Apr 2 2007, 08:34 PM Wrote:[i]Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage
The new tests which affect all 2008 models give a much more realistic rating with highway speeds of 80mph and acceleration of 8mph per second. This has dropped the Prius’s EPA down by 25 percent to an average of 45mpg. This now puts the Toyota within spitting distance of cars like the Chevy Aveo, which costs less then half what the Prius costs.

Building a Toyota Prius causes more environmental damage than a Hummer that is on the road for three times longer than a Prius. As already noted, the Prius is partly driven by a battery which contains nickel. The nickel is mined and smelted at a plant in Sudbury, Ontario.  The area around the plant is devoid of any life for miles.

I disagree with the writer on his comments about Sudbury, as I'm sure he's never been there, but this dose make a good point don't you think ?
[right][snapback]232947[/snapback][/right]
25 years ago Sudbury was a mess and there was no plant life for miles. Not sure what it's like now. Not somewhere I'd choose to bring up my family.

Now I'm certainly not a Toyota enthusiast, but what mileage will the s***box Aveo get with the new EPA standards? I don't trust much of what a college or university article has to say.
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.

Messages In This Thread
Prius Outdoes Hummer In Environmental Damage - CanadaSVT - 04-03-2007, 11:49 AM