Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Gas Is Still Too Cheap
I'm on record as saying that gas in the states is too cheap and that they need much better fuel economy numbers whether driven by gas taxes or CAFE requirements; and with just a little political courage the Americans could have forced economy higher little by little over the years since the last oil crisis 30 some odd years ago.

Having said that ... it's not exactly fair to compare Europe to the States (or even Canada for that matter) given the different distances involved for commercial traffic - a fuel tax increase in the States will have a different impact than it will in Europe -- it's still needed of course, but also understandable why it's politically unpalatable.

darkpuppet,May 26 2007, 06:25 PM Wrote:A stiff tax increase and $4-a-gallon fuel could end Americans' addiction to gas-hogging SUVs and curb dependence on OPEC. But don't count on politicians to line up for higher taxes.

By BusinessWeek
This article originally appeared in David Kiley's Auto Beat blog on BusinessWeek.com.

The average price of a gallon of gas is now above $3. That's affecting some car buyers' choices, as it has done whenever gas prices have spiked in the past two years. But it's still not high enough to spur the needed transformation of the U.S. auto fleet to much higher average fuel economy.

And that brings me to gasoline taxes, the one obvious measure that would move the U.S. to energy independence from the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries and substantially limit U.S. exposure to the political and ideological whims of the Middle East and Venezuela.

But don't hold your breath. Republicans running for the White House are lining up to take pledges for no new taxes, no matter how badly they are needed. Connecticut is actually rolling back its state gas tax by 5 cents a gallon to throw a bone to voters. Oh boy -- 5 cents! Ridiculous!

Democrats are showing no more courage, though they are talking more about the need for greater fuel economy. Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Conn., a presidential hopeful, is pushing for carbon taxes on auto makers. But he has said recently that "direct" taxes on consumers/voters aren't (politically) feasible. So much for "Profiles in Courage."

Conversations I have had with congressional staffers and one prominent Democratic congressman tell me that polling data going back to the 1980s shows that no tax increase would be more unpopular with voters than a gas-tax increase.

It's working for Europe
Europe has an average fuel economy for its new-car fleet of more than 40 miles per gallon. The European Union years ago amassed support among members for high taxes on gasoline, which drove a swift migration from big cars to smaller cars and to diesel fuel. The result: less dependency on OPEC and cleaner air in the cities.

A congressional staffer told me that to get a gas-tax increase across to the American voter, the president would have to drive a bipartisan effort, with the Democratic and Republican leadership of Congress standing behind him as he addressed the country in a series of speeches explaining the need for a higher gasoline tax, and that both parties would have to sign an agreement that neither side would use the tax against the other party in ads or rhetoric.
[right][snapback]239636[/snapback][/right]
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *

Messages In This Thread
Why Gas Is Still Too Cheap - darkpuppet - 05-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Why Gas Is Still Too Cheap - NOS2Go4Me - 05-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Why Gas Is Still Too Cheap - ZTWsquared - 05-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Why Gas Is Still Too Cheap - zx5power - 05-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Why Gas Is Still Too Cheap - Frost__2001 - 05-27-2007, 01:50 PM