Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Decided To Let The Cat Out Of The Bag.
just cuz its right on the oil cap doesn't mean its the only thing you can put in (or what you should put in for all operating conditions.. i would read the owner's manual or the factory service manual and see what the oils you can use for 'severe service' conditions..

as for the spun bearings. does the 'duratec' motor have tighter clearances than the bearing in a turbo or a sport bike motor? perhaps but i suspect not? all i'm saying is i'd research more before believing the 5W20 sticker on the oil cap is best for turbo focus motor

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

not sure how much tech this guy has.. but it lines up with other stuff i've read elsewhere

about thin oils like 5W20

Quote:So, these "fuel-efficient" oils are quickly becoming the factory recommendation in most cars. It's not at all clear that these new low- viscosity oils lead to the longest engine life, but it is clear that these oils help the car companies meet their CAFE federally- mandated fuel economy standards"

i believe the 'zetec' motor magically changed to a 5W20 oil recommendation for just that reason

and lower down where it talks about diesel oils

Quote:The latest commercial certification is CI-4 Plus, which includes extra protection for high temperature high revving motors. Since it's designed for diesel motors, they don't care about no stinkin' catalytic thingies, and CAFE is a place where you get a cup of joe and a donut. CI-4 Plus differs from CI-4 with higher detergent requirements and better sheer stability.

Therefore, diesel oils typically contain half again more detergents, double the dispersants, and a much more expensive and robust VII package than S type oils

where it talks about synthetics, the key advantage is longer change interval, and resistance to sheering (motorcycles are much harder on engine oil because it runs through the tranny also)

so yea.. i'm not conviced for a turbo car or a motorcycle with 3000mi oil change intervals that synth oil is doing anything other than wasting money..

and NOS.. here is my actual gauge setup

[Image: 0606071828.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
I Decided To Let The Cat Out Of The Bag. - naz - 06-07-2007, 02:37 PM