Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anything 50km/h Over Is Racing?
Frost__2001,Jun 27 2007, 01:34 PM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,Jun 27 2007, 09:12 AM Wrote:↓ x2 ... + speeding alone (no racing, no drugs, no aggressive driving, no weaving, no tailgating, no alcohol etc.) isn't nearly the menace that those other things are even at the speed limit.

Not to mention that it is still too easy to get a license here ... there isn't nearly enough respect for the rules of the road that allow traffic to move along ... and the speed limits are too low.

Although excessive speeding is often a symptom of otherwise aggressive and stupid behaviour, it isn't by definition aggressive or stupid on its own. Doing 130 here is borderline criminal, doing 130 in parts of Europe is the accepted safe norm. Doing 130 on an empty road in good conditions can be safe ... doing 130 on wet roads while tailgating another car isn't.

But street racing is a matter of choice and IMO is somewhat unrelated to other types of aggressive driving. And in addition to being incredibly stupid and dangerous, the so-called epidemic of street racing is also making it more difficult for those of us who think that with a little more training and a lot more common sense and courtesy on the roads, we could easily and safely manage a speed limit of 130 on the 4-series roads.

I wonder what Kenzie's stand is on this issue.

Most of you probably don't remember, but I remember driving when the speed limit on the 4-series highways was 70 mph ... and at a time when vehicle dynamics, brakes etc weren't nearly as good as they are now. I may be looking at the past through rose coloured glasses, but I recall everyone drove between 70 and 75 and the fastest was 80 (max. 10-12 mph spread fastest to slowest) and I don't recall people tailgating much or weaving in and out and I do recall most people moved to the right. Drunk driving was a huge problem of course and tires were crap ... but the bottom line was you could get from A to B in a reasonable time and traffic jams weren't nearly as bad as they are now.

Fantino and the rest need to take a more holistic view of what's happening on our roads ... including the role that traffic patterns and inadequate road capacity play in generating aggressive behaviour ... and the need for revised driver training and education and licensing standards.

Crushing modified cars might make for good headlines ... but as pointed out here it does nothing to get the stupid drivers off the roads.

[right][snapback]242479[/snapback][/right]

I agree with ZTWsquared, I think that limiters in cars as some people have suggested to keep your car from going over 100kms is plainly retarded as in Alberta & New Brunswick some Highway posted limits are 110 - 120 km/ph, not to mention in more and more US states the posted limit is 75 MPH, so if your car can't do that in those places you could be ticketed for going to slow.
[right][snapback]242483[/snapback][/right]

Didnt US try that in the 80's? I remember when i was in Cali friend of mine had a 80's Supra/celica and it didnt go pass 80Pmh. It was so funny. Car was around 2000RPM, but it coulndt go pass 80. Back then they go rid of it, bc it was a stupid idea, its still a stupid idea.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Messages In This Thread