Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Beginning And It's Beyond Reproach
I had a nice response to your response, PDW... but my in-laws crappy wireless ate it somehow, I s*** you not.

I firmly believe then, based on everything you've "said" just now that natives need to renegotiate the entire deal... let them move off the treaty land without losing it to afford themselves the chance to better themselves without a downside. On a related note, I'm all for satellite internet feeds to allow distance learning (on the government's dime, no less) to allow more native youth to complete their OSSD and take remote post-secondary learning opportunities.

The difference between shelters and friendship centres is that a shelter is non-denominational and for the homeless and downtrodden to get a night's sleep, and (to my admittedly limited knowledge) a friendship centre is for learning, conveyance of resources and a non-judgemental place for natives and indeed non-natives to congregate socially. Please correct me if I am wrong on the friendship centre.

I want to see everyone succeed in this country. I hate poverty and I hate seeing people suffer. However, I'm of the mind that occupations of disputed lands and indeed the attacking of established infrastructure is not the way to go about things. It wouldn't be tolerated if it was done by white, black, asian or asian indian folks. It shouldn't be tolerated when done by natives, either.

I don't want another Ipperwash or Oka. At the same time, I don't want another Caledonia or Deseronto. I don't pretend to have all the facts on the last two disputes in question (or even the first two). What I do know is that because of an agreement that may or may have not taken place, the people living in Caledonia right now are subject to fear and uncertainty every day.

Violence is not the answer, and neither is violent occupation, What if a group of white Canadians (or black Canadians) decided that a piece of land that was currently a reserve really shouldn't be because the land was lett to them by their settler forefathers? Can you imagine the rioting and bloodshed from an ensuing "occupation"? I'd also imagine that they'd be carted away by the OPP or the RCMP for their actions within hours or days at the most.

Again, I really do thank you for the frank and honest discussion. I hope you can make it to the BBQ so we can actually meet and have a great discussion about whatever crosses your mind. :)

I'd also love to see that car of yours!

Adam
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Messages In This Thread
It's Beginning And It's Beyond Reproach - NOS2Go4Me - 07-02-2007, 01:20 AM