Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need To Put In New Pads - Call For Help Gta
I agree that being stock isn't necessarily bad ... but I can tell you from personal experience and some insider knowledge that, although Focus brakes stop the car nicely, they suck in terms of longevity and in terms of NVH.

Having now had 7 Focus including an '00 and virtually every year up to '07, I can tell you that the '07's stock brakes are quite nice (same rotor size as Contour SVT, BTW) but for all my 00 to 04 Foci, I had the original rotors replaced under warranty on every single one of them ... by 15k they were all gouged and noisy and they generated a vibration ... and not only mine (I'm admittedly hard on brakes) but also on my wife's cars and she is decidedly easy on brakes.

Ford published a number of TSBs on Focus brakes and they finally got tired of customer complaints and warranty expense, hence the change to bigger brakes in 05 which essentially solved the problem. My point being is it wasn't just me.

Having said that ... after 17k my brakes (07 ZXW) are looking the worse for wear (seriously gouged and pitted) however I must say that they stop great and feel pretty good. Nonetheless I'm looking forward to what I will experience with a premium aftermarket rotor and a more aggressive pad.

The corollary to this is ... just because it's OEM doesn't mean it's good and it doesn't mean its superior to aftermarket.

naz,Jul 5 2007, 09:33 PM Wrote:the stock brake setup in the focus is NOT bad at all (unless they changed a ton between 00 and 05).  the 00 stock brakes and rotors are fine for use at a lapping school.

and as i said before, the only things that hawk hps will get you over stock is less dust. 

just because something is 'stock' that doesn't make it bad...

EDIT: i can't substantiate this with any tech but i would spend the extra $ for an OE rotor or brembo blank rotor versus getting a random brand cheapo rotor from china.. brakes aren't the place to try to save a few bucks.  i'm suggesting this because i believe a poorly cast rotor is more prone to cracking or warping
[right][snapback]243239[/snapback][/right]
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *

Messages In This Thread
Need To Put In New Pads - Call For Help Gta - ZTWsquared - 07-06-2007, 11:53 AM