Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Used Oil Analysis Castrol 0w30 Full Synth (pic)
NefCanuck,Mar 14 2008, 08:52 PM Wrote:Interesting topic.

I always wondered if Ford putting 5W20 semi-synth as the recommended lubricant for my '05 was more for fuel economy at the expense of long term durability?

[right][snapback]259991[/snapback][/right]

i personally think it was definitely was fuel econ driven decision. my '00 zx3 recommended 5w30 and IIRC my owners manual had a section about other viscosities that were acceptable. and then i heard that a few yrs later ('02 or '03 maybe?) the recommended oil suddenly changed to 5W20... and i don't think anything changed internally with the 2.0L 16v focus engine (but i could be wrong about that of course)

i started doing these UOA because i pretty much beat up my wagon fairly often and i wanted to make sure that i was at least maintaining it properly as well. also, i wanted to give myself 'proof' either way that i would be getting some actual protection increase from synth oil.

i think you (or another focus member) should get some UOAs done so you guys have focus specific data to go on. there's so much hype going around re oil (lucas additives and amsoil full synth anyone?) i think UOAs are awesome because they are a way to bring tech to the table when talking about oil

Messages In This Thread
Used Oil Analysis Castrol 0w30 Full Synth (pic) - naz - 03-15-2008, 08:03 AM