Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I Born Under An Unlocky Star?
NefCanuck,Sep 30 2008, 09:05 PM Wrote:God, why do I even get my hopes up?

Here's the latest, they blew past the "ten days is easily achievable" which was Sept 26 and when I called the bodyshop for an updatetoday (Sept 30) here's what I got:

Seems that when the car was brought to Dixie Ford to inspect the repairs they discovered that the rear seal on the diff in the back had popped thanks to the impact and a quantity of fluid had leaked out (this is supposed to be a sealed unit)

This leads to two issues now:

One, the insurance company is apparently balking, the fact that their adjuster apparently never looked at the rear of the car when making the determination to fix it or junk it never entering their alleged minds.

Two, despite me telling the towing vehicle (owned by the same bodyshop) to put the rear wheels on a dolly if a flatbed wasn't available they didn't do so and left the car running to get it to their bodyshop, so god only knows how much of the fluid was forced out while things were turning, meaning the entire rear diff might also have to get replaced. 

I asked for a new ETA and was told "at least a week"

bangs head against wall :censored2:

I just can't win

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]273646[/snapback][/right]

Just to clear the air: the tow truck driver is liable, so long as you didn't sign a waiver before, during, or after the tow, for any damages he incurred while towing the vehicle. If he left the rear wheels of an AWD car on the ground - he's a chowderhead. He's then liable for the repairs to the powertrain.

If they left it running and in neutral (which still doesn't disconnect an always-disconnected AWD system), then you should have let the insurance company know that as soon as you called it in because that makes the tow company immediately liable. Pictures would have been good, too.

Not s***ting on you, bud... hindsight and all that eh?

Oh, and it's perfectly safe and acceptable to tow an AWD car any distance with all 4 tires up in the air. 5KM or 5000, it doesn't matter at that point. So long as you have ground clearance and they're using a wheel-lift system for one end of the car... a flatbed is purely for the owner's pride.

EDIT - if the insurance company is ADMITTING that their adjuster didn't walk the entire car properly and inpsect it thoroughly... it might be time to get yourself a lawyer if they're refusing to cover the damage. If they should have spotted the damage before and are in effect admitting their own slip-up, get a name of the person that admitted it to you, the time and date of the call if they subpeona the call tapes, etc.

Something's rotten in Denmark :o :angry:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Messages In This Thread
Am I Born Under An Unlocky Star? - j3rt - 09-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Am I Born Under An Unlocky Star? - Dimitri - 09-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Am I Born Under An Unlocky Star? - oldeguy - 09-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Am I Born Under An Unlocky Star? - ZX3_2NV - 09-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Am I Born Under An Unlocky Star? - ZX3_2NV - 09-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Am I Born Under An Unlocky Star? - ZX3_2NV - 09-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Am I Born Under An Unlocky Star? - NOS2Go4Me - 10-02-2008, 04:11 AM
Am I Born Under An Unlocky Star? - dBlast - 10-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Am I Born Under An Unlocky Star? - ZX3_2NV - 10-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Am I Born Under An Unlocky Star? - ZX3_2NV - 10-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Am I Born Under An Unlocky Star? - ZX3_2NV - 10-23-2008, 12:26 AM