Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ford Reportedly Suing Enthusiast Web Site
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 11 2008, 08:26 AM Wrote:Yeah, I read up on this story some more over at Escape-Central.com. It's about selling unlicensed merchandise. If Puppet was to start selling site-backed Focus merch, he'd be in a lot of trouble. Same if he had a deal to submit royalties on sales and didn't.

FocusCanada.net merchandise is one thing, Ford Focus merchandise is another. That's what's going on here.
[right][snapback]278036[/snapback][/right]
^^QFT - and let's be clear - Ford hasn't sued anyone - they've only sent what is basically a cease and desist letter - ie: "stop or we'll sue."

You have to put this into the perspective of the trademark environment in the USA ... there have been a number of trademark infringement rulings in the US over the past years that basically says that if a company doesn't actively protect its trademarks, it can lose them ... so in a sense a company is forced to send cease and desist letters because if they don't they may lose the trademark alltogether.

IIRC the intent was to prevent someone from simply trademarking all kinds of stuff and then sitting on them and not actually producing something ... so in a way the rulings are being perverted - because obviously Ford wouldn't be at risk of losing its trademarks due to inactivitiy -- so this probably falls into the 'better safe than sorry' category.

Bottom line: if you want to sell merchandise that has any kind of Ford logo on it, you have to pay Ford for the rights to do so ... and with all the Ford crap out there you know Ford is willing to play ball if asked.

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *

Messages In This Thread
Ford Reportedly Suing Enthusiast Web Site - ZTWsquared - 12-12-2008, 01:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yey! I'm On The Fast Ford Mag Site! COCHYN 19 5,300 01-17-2005, 09:45 PM
Last Post: COCHYN