Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Us Auto Bailout: D O A Into The Senate
Actually, herein lies the problem (or series of events and circumstances that leads to the problem):

Our aggressive new friend hit the nail on the head earlier: unless things have changed, CAW/UAW employees are paid for a YEAR when laid off and then they start receiving E.I. Now, unless someone who is informed would like to step forward and tell us about any timeline/money structuring that says that all workers do NOT get the same treatment... that is B.S. and a huge cost to incur at the time of layoffs. If all you're saving is the overhead cost of operating a plant instead of the cost saved (even at a rate of 6 months per year) in idling those workers, then there's almost no point to doing layoffs.

What the union has effectively done here is to turn the concept of being laid off from your job into a farce. There's no cost savings in the near term for the company doing the layoffs in terms of payroll.

So, what's the point of closing the doors when you're only recovering a fraction of your monthly outlay on a single plant's operations? Not much, but they'll do it anyways because they have to do SOMETHING.

Sure, I'll agree that there's probably too much manangement at each head office (GM Canada, GM USA) and at each brand office (Chev, GMC, Pontiac, Saturn, etc)... but again, give us structure and numbers before defending the unions with such a broad stroke.

Lay off some management and salaried guys - go for it! I bet it's more cost-effective to lay a whack of middle management / design / other staff off than it is to close a plant! But, let's get rid of the pork at the union levels as well.

*puts on flame-resistant suit*

Oh, and CanadaSVT - he's entitled to his opinion - good, bad or otherwise. Just because he doesn't embraces the "brotherhood" / drones mentality that seems to pervade the unions doesn't mean he has nothing good to say. He just chooses to... "work differently", as do I.

I was taught to fend for myself, and likely so was he. We do our work without the miles of red tape, the patriarchal structuring and all the "thug" mentality of being in a union. You work in a union. Different strokes for different folks. I don't agree with the "brutish" mentality of unions, but I understand that others embrace them.

GFX - chill a tad. There are better ways to get your point across here than blindly firing back. Trust me, I know. :lol:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Messages In This Thread
Us Auto Bailout: D O A Into The Senate - NOS2Go4Me - 12-29-2008, 10:15 PM