Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Street-racing Law Ruled Unconstitutional
NOS2Go4Me,Sep 14 2009, 09:45 AM Wrote:Passing on a two-lane is WAY different than multi-lane passing and most sensible drivers treat each as a very different scenario. Multi-lane passing: I'll cruise by relatively slowly (compared to the other driver) when noone else is behind me. If I have others tagging along, I might quicken the pass but nothing ridiculous.

Two-lane passing: look, signal, tromp it (how much depends on the road and other factors). Am I 30+ over when passing a semi? You bet! I'd definitely defend myself in court by saying that asking me to pass a slow vehicle at the posted limited on a two-lane is akin to suicide / attempting vehicluar manslaughter.

If you can't control your vehicle at 130, you shouldn't be behind the wheel. I just wish there were more tracks and more ways to teach people the proper methods of handling a vehicle, competently, at 140+ km/h. Then these folk would go out there and realize that they don't need to be doing 130+ in a 100 zone, etc.
[right][snapback]294269[/snapback][/right]

I agree about the difference in passing on a two-lane vs. multi lane highway Adam ... but to use your example: in terms of the speed I think 30 over the other guy's speed is reasonable; not necessarily 30 over the limit.

If the other guy's doing the limit or close to it, then technically there is no need to pass at all (from a legal POV) ... so if you do and you go over the limit, there is no "safety" defense that will work for you. And you'll notice that this was not the defense that netted this woman an acquital.

OTH if the guy's only doing say 70 in a 100 zone, passing him at 100 will take virtually no time and no distance at all ... and still within the legal limit. The only time you get into real trouble passing on two-lane roads is when the passee is going fast - then the distance / time required to pass is long.

My bet is that this lady was passing a truck that was already exceeding the speed limit ... and that's why she needed to go 50 over to get past him. Once committed to the pass, I guess I can see the need ... but in terms of making the decision to pass in the first place, I have a hard time condoning this.

I've been saying for over 20 years that our training and licensing standards are way too low (ever since I travelled to Europe and drove extensively there) ... it is the generally s***ty quality of drivers on our roads that justifies the authorities keeping limits a lot lower than what our cars are safely capable of doing - and frankly the rationale for this stunt driving law.

The problem isn't the legislators, or the quality of our cars ... it is the nuts behind the wheel.

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *

Messages In This Thread
Street-racing Law Ruled Unconstitutional - ZTWsquared - 09-15-2009, 12:49 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  More "street Racing Law" Irony! 2001 ZTS 6 3,535 08-18-2009, 04:47 AM
Last Post: Flofocus
  Good Read: Article On 'street Racing' Law Flofocus 9 3,877 11-27-2007, 02:40 AM
Last Post: NOS2Go4Me
  Fools Videotaping Street Racing zx5power 17 4,404 02-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Last Post: euro
  Great Street Racing Article; Discuss... MAlby7 13 4,162 06-29-2006, 05:17 AM
Last Post: ZX3TUNING