Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would Ford Give Me A Hard Time?
This is a good read from Amsoil.

Quote:25 Jan 2010

Understanding Vehicle Manufacturers 'Warranties & the Laws'
Dear John,

One of the most frequently asked questions and a very important subject to understand is the 'Warranty Laws'. The biggest of myths is that, you have to use a specific manufacturers brand of product in order to maintain the validity of your warranty.

Nothing could be further hidden from the truth! In fact it is a violation of the Federal Law to require a consumer to use a specific brand or type of product unless that product is provided free of charge.

The claim is usually made by a dealership service center that any other brand of product, except theirs of course, will "void the warranty", with the statement or implication that only the original equipment brand of product may be used.  This, of course tends to cast a doubt on the quality of the replacement part.

That claim is simply not true. If the consumer asks for that statement in writing, he will not receive it. Nevertheless, the consumer may feel uneasy about using replacement parts that are not original equipment. With the large number of do-it-yourselfers who prefer to install many of their own service and maintenance parts, such as oil and filters, this misleading claim should be corrected.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. SS 2301-2312 (1982), and general principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not require the use of any brand of part unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the warranty.

So if you are told that only the original equipment part will not void the warranty, you should ask that the part be supplied free of charge.  If you are charged for the part, the manufacturer will be violating the terms of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. This applies to any consumer product, not just cars and trucks.

Now, here are the answers to the two most common questions about AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils:

Could using AMSOIL motor oil void your new car warranty?

Absolutely Not!

Vehicle manufacturers recommend using motor oils that meet up to certain Viscosity Grades and American Petroleum Institute (API) service requirements.  Irrespective of whether the motor oil is petroleum based or synthetic, the warranty coverage will not be affected. The manufacturer is required to cover all equipment failures it would normally cover as long as the oil meets the requirements and was not the cause of the failure.  AMSOIL exceeds these requirements and has never been deemed the cause of an engine failure.  Even so, AMSOIL has its own limited warranty, protecting you even further.  In addition, the federally mandated Magnuson-Moss Act states that a manufacturer may not require the use of a specific brand of aftermarket product unless it is provided free of charge.

If a car dealership, service center or other business states that using AMSOIL will void the new vehicle warranty, ask for their statement in writing and send it to AMSOIL Technical Services.  If the business won't provide the specific statement in writing, please send AMSOIL Technical Services a letter identifying who made the statement, the name and location of the business. AMSOIL will then send a letter to the business informing them that their position is inaccurate, and in fact, violates existing law.  Your name will be held in confidence.

AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are guaranteed to run 25,000 to 35,000 miles (Series 2000 0W-30 Severe Service Oil) or one year in mechanically sound engines, providing the oil to be kept free of contaminants by changing the oil filter according to the manufacturer's recommendation or, when using an AMSOIL oil filter, changing the filter at 6 months or 12,500 miles (20,000kms) (for gasoline engines), whichever comes first. If using the AMSOIL Dual-Remote or Dual-Guard By-Pass Filtration unit then the oil and By-Pass filter is changed as indicated by oil analysis testing.  AMSOIL coined the phrase "extended drain interval" and over 25 years of industry testing and tens of thousands of motorists and millions of over-the-road miles have validated it.

AMSOIL synthetic motor oils provide extended drain performance because their molecular chain does not break down in heat in a way that conventional motor oils do.  AMSOIL motor oils don't volatize (burn off), which alters the viscosity and increase oil consumption. Finally, AMSOIL's superior additive package, a key element in the oil's ability to function, holds up under engine stresses, remaining serviceable for the full 25,000 to 35,00 miles (40,000 to 56,000kms), or indefinitely when By-Pass Filtration and oil analysis is used.

Additionally, if there is ever a question of whether or not a particular type of oil was the cause of an engine failure, please make sure to get a sample of the used oil in a bottle, typically 6oz. minimum.  The oil can then be sent to two independent testing labs for analysis. Remember, an informed consumer is your best defense against being taken advantage of by a vehicle dealership or service center.

I truly anticipate that this e-mail really helps you necessary information on 'Warranties & Laws'. Should you have any questions regarding these issues or require personal assistance, please contact me directly.

Best Regards, John,

Yours sincerely

Parany Vijay DAE AMIAE
Automotive Engineer
http://www.WorldsBestOil.ca

Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Messages In This Thread
Would Ford Give Me A Hard Time? - tetra - 01-27-2010, 06:00 AM
Would Ford Give Me A Hard Time? - hardk0re - 01-27-2010, 06:15 AM
Would Ford Give Me A Hard Time? - tetra - 01-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Would Ford Give Me A Hard Time? - hardk0re - 01-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Would Ford Give Me A Hard Time? - Scorcher000 - 01-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Would Ford Give Me A Hard Time? - ANTHONYD - 01-27-2010, 06:36 AM
Would Ford Give Me A Hard Time? - tetra - 01-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Would Ford Give Me A Hard Time? - tetra - 01-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Would Ford Give Me A Hard Time? - tetra - 01-28-2010, 03:55 AM