Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Sputtering/Hesitation Thread (sorry)
Heart 
Hiya Guys,

Recently I have experienced the sputtering, stuttering, hesitation that plagues the focus. I have a 2001 SPI manual. It has 89k km on it.
I have searched and read through every thread on the subject here, and I have been trying to use the info to try and solve this problem. However, I have a not been successful and I'm hoping someone could shed a little more light on the my situation.

I have,

-Replaced the fuel pump/filters ( done at dealership under the warranty) I did this last fall.
-Replaced spark plugs, checked the coil pack/wires. All looks new.
-done the EGR/DPFE tricks from focus hacks.
-Used a OBD-II and it come's up clean. (never had a check engine light)

None of these things have helped. I suspect a vacuum leak, maybe O2 sensor, MAF? I dunno, but before I started down that road, I wanted to ask one question with one added bit of info.

After the fuel pump was replaced, it did not stop the sputtering. However, it was just before winter. The weather quickly got cold. All winter, it ran tip top, not a single time it sputtered. living in Alberta, the weather gets quite cold from Oct to March. Come this spring, it's warmed up and it is now sputtering again.

First, I only drive 11km to work. 22km a day. It's been this way for pretty much the entire life of the vehicle.
The car starts fine. It idles great. The only time it starts sputtering is about 1km from work, literally 2 mins before I'm done driving it. Some days I think If I had to drive another extra Km, it would die. After work, I get in start her up and it runs and idles great, drives great, right until I'm about 2 mins from home. At this point it's about to die. The idle is rough, it'll have a big stumble every 5-10 secs or so and there is extreme hesitation when accelerating and the sound fromt he exhaust is micro back fires, buhhhhuphphpphphphpphphphhp. If I hit a red light near that time, my car almost stalls out. I have to keep the RPM up manually while sitting at the read light in fear it's gonna stall.
I make it home and I turn off the car. The next day, again starts fine, drives great until almost at work, rinse and repeat.

I have since found a solution to stop it from doing this... although it's not much of a solution, more of a band-aid. I hope from this info can lead some expert around here to what my problem is.

Turing the AC on fixes the problem. It's an odd reversal of the a/c stutter bug some of our cars get. My car runs perfectly with the a/c on. No rough idle, no hesitation, besides from the normal a/c being on hesitation, no sputtering. What would cause my car to run better and fix the sputtering/rough idle/hesitation when the a/c is turned on?

Thanks in advance for the help, it's very appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
Another Sputtering/Hesitation Thread (sorry) - jedipimp - 05-31-2011, 01:14 AM