Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitness Update - End of April
(06-01-2011, 10:54 PM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote:
(06-01-2011, 05:55 AM)NikiterZTS Wrote: You're not gonna burn off fat fast enough just by lifting weight. Get on that treadmill. I do 20min runs every other day. My buddy who's trying to loose weight does 30min runs every other day and he dropped quit a bit. Start off with 5-10min runs.

*shakes head* you're kidding, right? Most of his progress, if not 90%+ of it is due to "no cardio".

Muscle burns more calories 24/7, both active and at rest, than any other type of body tissue. Cardio scavenges resources from ALL types of body tissue, including lean muscle mass. When you scavenge your own hard work work to fuel cardio, you're robbing yourself of progress.

Oscar's workout is somewhat more aerobic in that it's meant to tone and cut (more reps than mine), but it's not a time-waster like 40+ minutes on the treadmill. He's lifting to failure for 14-18 reps IIRC, which is more reps and less weight than I do (lift to fail within 8-12 reps).

Also, running is far more punishing to your body when you're weight training than weight training correctly alone could ever be. Furthermore, when you're training to tone and strengthen muscle, you weaken yourself by performing cardio on the same days that you lift weights.

Oscar's done amazing so far, and even moreso considering his dedication to an atypical approach that wouldn't be contemplated by most. Don't change a thing, bud. The train's moving along nicely. Smile

Some key words you are using Adam...Tone and cut.

He WILL get better results by throwing in some Cardio. Sure if its just his only goal of getting cut, then keep going, but it doesn't sound like it. He wants to lose fat, and interval cardio will get him solid results. I'm not talking 40 minutes a day on the treadmill at speed 5. 15-20 minutes, 4-5 times a week is all it will take, but he has to push hard, just like that last rep you should be struggling to lift that weight, his interval training has to do the same.

Like I mentioned, after my wife had a baby she went from 180 pounds to 120 with high interval cardio & a solid diet alone in less than a year, no weight lifting was done at all. It works, and it works well. But then again, diet is the main culprit. I stopped drinking, and with that alone, I have dropped 6 pounds in the last 2 months. I haven't changed anything other than replacing beer with water!

Muscle hack is a great site and all but it is mostly geared to men & woman who want to build and tone muscle. Its a different game when your trying to shed fat. When your someone like me, 5'7, 200 pounds, weight training alone is NOT going to make me get to my ideal weight of 160 pounds (unless its a 10 year plan). Its gonna be mostly a solid diet, and a combination of weight training and cardio activities.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Fitness Update - End of April - NOS2Go4Me - 04-28-2011, 10:36 PM
RE: Fitness Update - End of April - Flofocus - 06-02-2011, 01:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FITNESS UPDATE. JUNE 2012 ANTHONYD 12 4,743 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Last Post: meford4u
  Fitness Update darkpuppet 11 4,224 05-12-2009, 04:28 AM
Last Post: ZX3_2NV
  Fitness Update - End Of Summer Edition... darkpuppet 9 2,890 09-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Last Post: heelchain