Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sticking ign.key 2003 focus wagon
(07-21-2011, 07:49 AM)garythewolf Wrote:
(07-21-2011, 04:09 AM)Mystake Wrote: whattya mean jam??

recently my steering wheel locked and it took 5 minutes of jiggling for the key to finally turn and unlock the wheel?

yep,,better get er fixed,,next time it may not work

(07-21-2011, 05:15 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote:
(07-21-2011, 04:09 AM)Mystake Wrote: whattya mean jam??

recently my steering wheel locked and it took 5 minutes of jiggling for the key to finally turn and unlock the wheel?

If this happens again you need to tap it smartly back into the lock ... the last time this happened to me the only thing I had to tap it with was a rolling pin ... worked like a charm.

You can get a brand new cylinder, keyed to your existing key, for not much more than the cost of the service mentioned above ... and it's a 2-minute job at most to replace it.

the new keys and cylinder is $85.00,,,at APC, still needs programing
If the key wont turn period then how are you going to turn it to acc.?? thats where the big expense is,,it has to be able to turn to acc. to remove the cylinder, then its drilling it out or tear the steering column apart or both,,its a good security system but a pain in the "backside" its best to get it done when you can still move it after hitting it to make it work,,mine started last week and got worse, l had it repaired and it now works very smooth...this is very common in the focus...

You don't need new keys ... the dealer can "key" the cylinder so that it accepts your existing keys ... therefore PATS not an issue.

In fact, all cylinders come with all the stuff needed for you to do your own "keying" ... but IIRC US dealers charge 25.00 to do it for you.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *

Messages In This Thread
RE: sticking ign.key 2003 focus wagon - ZTWsquared - 07-21-2011, 08:16 AM