Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just read this Short Take on C+D.com
oldeguy - I drove a '12 SEL hatch with the PowerShift dual-clutch. Ford's biggest failing with that trans. is that they've programmed it for the "masses", and it acts a lot like a torque converter-based auto. It's a damn quick transmission when it wants to be, and with paddle shifters and the right program it could be right at home in ANY Focus - even the ST. Sadly, Ford has let its "drivers" down on that one so far.

I found the '12 hatch to be tossable still, but the weight gain was readily apparent. After having recently driven Oscar's boosted '07 ZX5 (~2700lbs curb weight) and whipping my '00 around (~2300lbs curb weight)... the ST will be hard-pressed to be a "real" mover. This new ZX5 is over 2900lbs. OUCH.

Sadly, I'd buy one but I'd be going insane trying to strip weight out of it to get it back to its roots. The Focus doesn't need to be saddled with all that extra mass. The new engine is a gem. The suspension seems fairly willing. It's the SVT all over again to a degree - great chassis, not enough power. I'm hoping the ST goes on a diet and gets down to the 2800lb mark.

I'd love to order a new one, but for the foreseeable future (2 years or so) the Escape fits all of my other needs. Subsonic, well... it handles my hooligan needs nicely too! Plus, big things are coming for Subsonic in the spring.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just read this Short Take on C+D.com - NOS2Go4Me - 09-29-2011, 11:43 PM