Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Captain's Log: the threat is real
Something ground-breaking is about to happen to me. I swore for years that it would never happen, that I'd resist and outlast the threat.

I'm wrong. I'm dead wrong.

I'm buying a pickup truck. The scourge of the roads up here. The defining moment when you admit "I care less about fuel efficiency than I do about off-road capability". It's only a matter of time until I grow my hair out, with a mustache, take up drinking beer again and fall in love with NASCAR.

Well, f**k that last one. WRC for life!

I'm thankfully not straying away from my own dilemma of swearing that I'd never own a new vehicle (unless it's boosted from the factory) ever again. So, I'm buying my buddy's (who happens to be my mechanic) 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 - long box, ext cab, 360CID.

Reasons for doing so:

1 - f**k car/truck/SUV payments. My Escape's been good to me but I'm tired of paying for it and almost never driving it. So, it's leaving in the near future.

2 - off-roading. I MISS IT SO MUCH. Most of you don't know this, but I was fairly "into" off-roading for the first few years that I lived up here. I'll have a big bastard to drive, but that's ok... it already has a purpose with my circle of friends.

3 - 5th wheeling. My 22' Golden Falcon is only 4,000lbs but it's a 5th wheel. My campground is getting kind of silly with their rules and after this summer, I might just sell the trailer/add-a-room there and get something else or pull everything out... literally. Might also buy some property up here to suit that need as well. The truck was used sparingly beforehand to 5th wheel, and it's wired appropriately, so I'm good. Just need a new 5th wheel hitch when the time comes.

4 - winter beater. I drove the Focus basically all winter because I've lost all love for driving the Escape. It gets moved around some (even went for a rip last night with Oscar) but as competent as it is... I'm bored with it. It tows well, handles snow/ice/dirt well, hauls the dog well... but it doesn't stand out anywhere. So, it's not for me. I've driven it and maintained it faithfully but I just want something that will do EXACTLY what I want. Can't do that with the Escape.

So... I'll get a truck that I know the entire history on (in my buddy's family since brand new, no wrecks, bud's been doing all mechanical on it in recent years, full engine and trans rebuild already, mechanically sound), have a competent mechanic to work on it when I can't and much less monthly overhead. Win-win.

Personally, I blame Oscar for that Carhartt winter coat I got off him. I've been itching to do "more" with a truck ever since. Thanks bud, I needed that. Big Grin

Also, getting a custom push bar made for it with a winch mount. I'll be the new recovery vehicle for our buds with Jeeps - including Oscar, lol.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Messages In This Thread
Captain's Log: the threat is real - NOS2Go4Me - 02-22-2012, 01:42 AM