Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some advice on exporting a bike from USA
(09-25-2012, 11:24 PM)NikiterZTS Wrote: Found a new toy in US and A for a good price with waaaay lower miles. Been doing a lot of reading on the web of how to export it through Lewiston bridge.
I want those with experience to check if I'm missing something.

(Done) First of all I checked if the bike is admissible and can be modified to meet Canadian requirements by checking Transport Canada’s List of Admissible Vehicles. Checked http://www.riv.ca (1-888-848-8240) and yes even called them to double check. Good to go.

(Done) Sent information about the bike to buffalovinnyoffice@dhs.gov
All that included was that it is motorcycle, make, model, color, year, VIN #.
With in an hour I got a reply back from boarder that bike is OK to be brought over the boarder.

So at this point if I pick up the bike the following I need to show at the boarder. Title documents, registration and sales receipts (bill of sale?)
Then pay some HST at Canadian side.

(Needs to be done) Not needed at the boarder but going to request today. Contact the original equipment manufacturer or authorized dealer of this bike to obtain a recall clearance letter (YOU MUST HAVE THIS DOCUMENT IN ORDER TO PASS THE FEDERAL INSPECTION).
So basically I'm going to call USA Honda today to request this letter. Hopefully it's done via email.

When I called the boarder they made it sound way too easy. I hope that's how it is.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Make sure you have a dated bill of sale, you will still have to pay HST at the border. You should also check with Ontario to see what you might need from a foreign jurisdiction in order to register the bike in your name here; ie: the ownership. Otherwise you look like you have everything covered.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need some advice on exporting a bike from USA - ZTWsquared - 09-25-2012, 11:39 PM