Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*tap tap tap* Is this thing on?
*facepalm* Thanks Vince! Tongue

OK, so I waited until now to post this up: It looks like I'll be going ahead and turboing my autotragic Zetec. Smile

My convo yesterday afternoon with Vik was enlightening and encouraging. I think it sunk in once we actually talked that I was serious, not an Internet jokester and that I was serious about modding the stock Zetec kit.

I also told Vik I'd be willing to pay extra for automatic tuning beyond a normal reasonable amount that they'd expect to perform for a manual Zetec. Vik told me they don't even like doing the Duratec autos, which I believe.

My three major worry points for adapting the Zetec kit are:

- the transmission dipstick tube. Might need to mod the turbo intake tubing and filter positioning there. No biggies.
- the transmission selector cable entry point - might need to re-route intake tubing there over the stock Zetec kit for the same reason.
- the auto Zetec uses a different crank position sensor part/model than the manual Zetec, and this gets close to impacting the turbo downpipe from what Vik remembers. So, we'll mock it up and then see what has to be done to adjust piping angles.

After that point, the rest should be roughly the same as a manual Zetec install - get a wideband O2, install the kit, run the wideband sensor wiring back to the cabin, prep for logging after installing the safe tune from FSWerks.

He also seemed pleased that I had had an actual, meaningful convo with Chris at Lentech and that I was serious about beefing up the 4F27E if I decide to get beyond 7-8 PSI. He's of the mind that based on the Duratec builds they've seen, running 5.5-7PSI should be survivable on the stock transaxle so long as I don't mat it everywhere I go. Truth be told, I'm more than fine with an uprated transaxle and torque converter once the turbo install and tune is done... because I have a feeling I'll want 11-12PSI and intercooling, or more with a built block, next year. I have no real intent going beyond a typical FSWerks stage 1 this year. I think I'll just be giddy with the turbo fun and might even possibly decide not to upgrade. I like to overbuild so the Lentech work will likely happen, even if I take the lower-power spec offering and the uprated torque converter.

Slowly, slowly... it's coming together. Smile
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Messages In This Thread
*tap tap tap* Is this thing on? - GFXjamie - 02-24-2014, 11:11 AM
*tap tap tap* Is this thing on? - GFXjamie - 02-25-2014, 01:41 AM
*tap tap tap* Is this thing on? - GFXjamie - 03-03-2014, 01:54 AM
*tap tap tap* Is this thing on? - GFXjamie - 03-04-2014, 05:21 AM
*tap tap tap* Is this thing on? - GFXjamie - 03-05-2014, 05:06 AM
*tap tap tap* Is this thing on? - GFXjamie - 03-05-2014, 05:40 AM
RE: *tap tap tap* Is this thing on? - NOS2Go4Me - 03-06-2014, 02:55 AM
*tap tap tap* Is this thing on? - GFXjamie - 03-06-2014, 06:39 AM
*tap tap tap* Is this thing on? - GFXjamie - 03-13-2014, 09:05 PM
*tap tap tap* Is this thing on? - GFXjamie - 03-13-2014, 09:59 PM
*tap tap tap* Is this thing on? - GFXjamie - 03-23-2014, 07:13 AM