Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wtb / Wtt Older Computer Parts Or Systems
Alright, as some of you who know me know... I'm heavy into distributed computing for cancer research. I actually head up a team of people (just under 30 of us) from all over N.A. and the UK who are running the Grid.org / United Devices client and participating in Oxford University's cancer research project.

A detailed description of the project can be found here.

What I am looking for are donations / really good deals on motherboard / cpu / RAM combos or older systems. What I do with 'em is format them, install a base OEM copy of Windows 2000 Pro (for remote management's sake) and then install the UD client.

I have an arrangement with a buddy who runs a computer store that I'll receive some shelf / rack space shortly, and I'll be co-locating the DC computers there.

I guess I should point out that no-one in the project is compensated, monetarily or otherwise. We're in this because we want to see cancer gone, period. The project is in some rather in-depth investigative work right now (work that's farmed out to the Grid members) and it's probably some of the short-listed potential treatments / cures.

So, if you have any extra older parts / systems, give me a shout here, via MSN, or I can supply an email address for lengthy correspondence.

Basic requirements for parts / systems:

Pentium II 300MHz or higher, AMD K6-2 series or higher
RAM: 128MB is enough for a base Win2K install and the client
Hard drives: 4-6GB is enough
Networking: 10/100Mbit network card
Video: absolutely nothing more than a 1-4MB onboard solution, even. Completely not a requirement.
Sound: no
Keyboard / mouse: nope. We have KVM (keyboard/video/mouse) switches to run them on, or also administered remotely over the network.
Cases w/PSU: would be nice, but not necessary. I'll be building a "tray" of caseless computers that we'll have sitting out as well to save some space.

It's appreciated, everyone. Also, if you have a home computer and you want to join the project (and not just joining our team - do what you will!) - check out the website - Grid.org's cancer research page. Also, partial donations of single parts or whatever is good, too. I can also arrange to scrounge up cash after we move to offset the cost of shipping to North Bay if that's a problem. Most light packages to North Bay via Xpress Post are about 10 bucks, give or take from anywhere in Ontario.

Thanks,

Adam
:headbang: :headbang:

We do have a website that is admittedly out-of-date that I run - http://teamx.webhop.org

I'll be creating a new account for the "FocusCanadaBot" computers and everyone will be able to track their progress via the Fast Stats! page on the website. I'm also trying to find a way to embed a dynamic picture of the stats for the account as well into my blog. Also, all those who contribute will be recognized as members of the FocusCanadaBot "group".
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Messages In This Thread
Wtb / Wtt Older Computer Parts Or Systems - NOS2Go4Me - 07-09-2005, 01:46 AM