Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backpressure, Who Needs It In Your Exhaust?
Jays200zx3 wrote"What's the point in wasting the money on a flex pipe and replacement cat when you are not going to be gaining anything?"

But you will gain a lot. As Euro Ford Fan said, in which I agree, you want to get as much air into the system, and out of your engine as possible. What I am looking at is whether the race header will greatly improve that for my daily driver.

I will be gaining hp with a hi flow cat. Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10-12hp with the cat and a larger flex pipe. The addition of the race header, I don't think I would gain much more than a total of 15hp with the race header, flex pipe, under car hi flow cat.

So why spend $450 for the flex and header, another $100 on the cat, when all I really need is just the hi flow cat and a new flex pipe?

An we have to live with the neighbours everyday. We all know that race header is going to be louder, not something I am willing to accept for a daily driver. I have heard some of the guys bemoan their noisy cars on the highway. I will lose 3-5 hp for a lot less noise.

I noticed your earlier edit Jay, and that is exactly what I am looking at with the JBA shorty header, random tech hi flow cat and a 2.5" flex. Good call

Oh and one more thing, Marc and Steve, I am hoping that we can combat some of the cam problems with the cam gears. But if that doesn't solve the problem, then yes, back to the stock exhaust cam gears we go. We are not doing the work right now, as we are enjoying the car being driven. When the car goes to bed for the winter, let the tuning games begin!!!

Cam gears, change in header/exhaust TBD, hella fog lights, stainless brake lines, plus other goodies, then off to the dyno in the spring.

TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.

Messages In This Thread
Backpressure, Who Needs It In Your Exhaust? - meford4u - 09-02-2004, 05:14 AM