Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buy My House (gta Realestate Thread)
Raine,Oct 11 2005, 02:39 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Oct 10 2005, 10:18 PM Wrote:Ah, but you have to look at it the other way as well. 

For example the electrical wiring will be as modern as it gets, without it being hermetically sealed in the walls, 50 year old wiring is just an expense waiting to happen.

The newer the homes, the tighter tolerances it is (supposedly) built to, so less leaks and drafts you gotta chase down.

Plus the newer the home, the less $ you have to put aside for those "age" related repairs that an older home will end up having.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]148021[/snapback][/right]

Granted and true on all counts, with the exception of the tighter tolerances. Granted, materials are often milled and set better now than they used to be, but that's presuming it's wood they're using. Heathwood - one of Toronto's most acclaimed builders - uses FOAM for their exterior walls. Sure, best insulator you can get, cover it in vapour barrier and you won't do better... until a kid throws a rock thru it and lazy brick layers just go right over it. Try chasing down THAT draught..

It swings both ways I guess
[right][snapback]148036[/snapback][/right]

Foam for exterior walls? :blink: That's legal? Man, I dunno but I can't see how foam is more durable than wood myself....

Lazy brick layers? Oh yeah, seen that happen more than a few times. Friend of the family used to work for Townwood Homes and we'd meet him occasonally on the job sites he was supervising... some of the stuff we saw would make yer hair stand on end :ph34r:

NefCanuck

Messages In This Thread
Buy My House (gta Realestate Thread) - NefCanuck - 10-12-2005, 12:55 AM