Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Screamin Demon Coil /cold Air Intake
UDP is a great "$ per HP" item, but you can't run a S/C with one on the crank. In that case, use the alternator / power steering pulley sets. IF that's your goal... otherwise go nuts.

Wires clean up gas mileage and incomplete burn issues in conjunction with a coil. Response is increased some, and there's less fluctuation in power delivery at different RPMs due to an inconsistent spark. The most I've ever seen a coil pack / wire upgrade get was 2-3HP, and that was last issue of Focus Fanatic or the issue before it. That was a SVT with minor mods. So on a Zetec or SPI, the gains will be even less.

Intakes just make sense, whether they're Short Ram Intakes or Cold Air Induction intakes. You're letting as much air into the engine as it can muster without forced induction or nitrous. Always a good choice. Gains are 2-5 HP for the SPI and Zetec, SVT, depending on the intake, filter, and pre-existing mods on the engine.

Exhausts are the opposite end of the business, and also a solid choice. Good for 3-5HP for most popular models on most Focuses. FocalJet has a good exhaust shootout.

Cams are a more radical power adder. They add serious power, but they also cost serious money. A case I'm familiar with is the SPI... you could easily bolt on 25-30HP with a new cam gear, cam, and hardware set (springs, lifters, etc) but the cost is ~ $1000CDN. On the other hand, the 50% UDP from BDR is $109 USD, and they've dyno-tested it - it adds 10-12HP on average. For mild mods, guess which one makes more sense?

Porting your intake manifold to match your TB works, and porting your intake manifold to match your block works even better in tandem with it.

I guess it's worth noting that not all mods will actually help your engine make more power. Some can actually hurt it due to design issues (bad airflow / exhaust flow, etc). Your Mileage, as always, May Vary.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Messages In This Thread
Focus Screamin Demon Coil /cold Air Intake - NOS2Go4Me - 10-27-2005, 06:16 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cold Air Intake Or Short Ram? SmokeBCBuDZ 12 3,559 02-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Last Post: zx5power
  Installed My Cold Air Intake.. focusonthis88 9 2,527 05-04-2005, 06:53 AM
Last Post: ANTHONYD
  Scream Demon qtgino 3 1,728 06-01-2004, 07:23 AM
Last Post: fokuz
  Custom Cold Air Intake FociS8nt 5 1,767 05-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Last Post: paulicat