Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Ring To Rule Them All........
Steve, I've "played" with the AT on the streets. It's definitely NOT the fastest way to get anywhere, but it's the safest. I have confirmed it *will* get the car around a corner that a normal car cannot make. That's because it will apply brakes to the inside rear wheel, slowing the car WHILE rotating it. Most FWD cars, attempting at the same speed, will simply plow the front tires when you turn in, and you'll go off in a straight line.

And yes, I think I've even tested it in an emergency, twice. I can't say if *I* would have crashed without it, but others might have.

First, I was on a backroad somewhere, at night, doing 80km/h. A big racoon ran out, and I swerved to avoid it, throwing the car on to the GRAVEL shoulder on the right hand side. I swerved back onto the highway, without *no* incident. Afterward, I thought "well that was stupid". Any other car, I might have lost it on the gravel.

Second time, just last month during that snow storm, I was heading back to Windsor from Barrie. The storm cleared by London, and I was sailing along on clear roads at 115. There was no snow, but a heavy cross wind. At one point, I hit a patch of ice on the 401, came out of nowhere, at the same time as a cross wind gust hit the car. The entire car slewed sideways and entered the other lane. I steered to correct and went on my merry way. I wonder what would have happened without AT.

I consider myself an exceptional driver. But even Schumi cannot be 100% focused on driving 100% of the time. Even the best will have momentary lapses of attention, or delayed responses to a sudden situation. AT takes care of that. It's always on.

Euro, you're wrong. About everything. Sorry.

Overpriced? The "base" Imprezza is the sleeper deal of the decade. For $24k, same price as a Focus ST, base Fusion, or a Vibe with the usual power options (AC, PW, PL, etc) you get:

2.5L Engine with healthy torque
Real AWD
ABS
AC, PW, PL, Keyless, cruise control
Side impact airbags
Subaru Safety
Subaru Reliability

However, AWD is NOT superior to stability control. Remember, I'm talking STABILITY control. Trac control is s***. I own both cars, and I'll take the ZTW with AT in bad condition, if I want to get to where I'm going safely.

AWD does not offer any extra control over FWD. In my experience, all it benefits is accelerative traction, and some extra stability in split-rolling-resistance situations compared to 2wd.

As for the extrication thing, which would you rather have?

1)A car with strong safety cage, that takes a little longer to cut open to get you out

2)A car with a weak safety cage, where they can quickly and efficiently extricate your dead body?

Messages In This Thread
One Ring To Rule Them All........ - P-51 - 02-24-2006, 01:09 AM
One Ring To Rule Them All........ - P-51 - 02-24-2006, 03:37 AM
One Ring To Rule Them All........ - dad - 02-24-2006, 04:59 AM
One Ring To Rule Them All........ - P-51 - 02-24-2006, 11:07 AM
One Ring To Rule Them All........ - dad - 02-24-2006, 11:28 PM
One Ring To Rule Them All........ - P-51 - 02-25-2006, 01:28 AM
One Ring To Rule Them All........ - dad - 02-25-2006, 05:22 AM
One Ring To Rule Them All........ - dad - 02-25-2006, 06:04 AM