Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok Raise Your Hand If You Got Laid Off Today
P-51,Feb 26 2006, 10: Wrote:But, fear not, TO isn't that far from Windsor.  You could easily visit on weekends.  And TO is much better than Windsor.  Anywhere is much better than Windsor.  Sorry to say it, if you're a lifetime Windsorite... but I've seen MANY cities in Canada, and Windsor is the worst, with no redeeming qualities except... nope, no redeeming qualities.
[right][snapback]172303[/snapback][/right]
I moved from Windsor to Hamilton back in the early '90s. I work in Oakville. I got my Industrial General Machinist when I was laid off there, but in '92 the job market in Windsor sucked, the machining field field is cyclic at best.

laidman, Forget Toronto. once you get over the new city party stage, it blows. The few the things that Windsor does have going for it -- a reasonable standard of living, an opportunity to own a lot that's bigger than 40x100, etc are completely out the window on a machinists salary. The only people that I know that like TO are those who grew up there.

Cost of living--here's an example. In 1995 a $110,000 split ranch on a 80w x 120d lot in A'berg cost $120 in Windsor and $150 in Hamilton. In Burlington $170, Oakville $200, TO $300. So unless you want to be a perpetual renter I'd advise against it. Maybe Burlington, not TO

Some things I miss about Essex County (not necessarily Windsor), mainly it sucks never running into people you grew up with, and when you do go home to visit, you never have enough time to visit everyone.

Just remember that you have to make a living. You have to go where the money is. But if you move past London -- face reality. I tried the commute to see people thing. It doesn't work for more than a year. So be prepared to cut a lot of bonds. But in the end, you'll live.

I seem to remember a place towards Orillia that was looking for machinists, their offer at the time was very generous. I'll post it if I find it.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*

Messages In This Thread
Ok Raise Your Hand If You Got Laid Off Today - OAC_Sparky - 02-27-2006, 04:31 AM