Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok, I Need Some Serious Help Here
It appears I have a very sweet scratch that the "charity" car wash may have donated to me Saturday... as I paid 5 bucks towards our local St John's Ambulance. Nice eh? It runs 3/4 of the length of the front passenger door, under the trim piece on the door... almost at the bottom of the door actually. There are a couple of others that run the same way, and given the weight and newness... it could only have been the carwash. I inspect this car weekly... my first real pride and joy that's less than 5 years old! (although I did miss the passenger's side rocker panel scuffing... I think. If they did that... that's just sad)

Further inspection of the ride with a fine-tooth comb (no, not really! :D ) shows a bad little stone chip on the front hood (down to the primer), plus the aforementioned scratches on the front bumper, hood scuffing from the damn block heater plug swinging around, and the passenger's side rocker panel had some pretty serious scuffing :o

So now I'm thinking... tie that in with the fact the entire trunk needs a respray due to mad scratches, driver's side rocker panel leading edge by the front tire needs a spray too... why not just get the whole damn shooting match repainted????

How much should I expect? I'd obviously take it in for estimates at different shops, but something else came to mind: clearcoat. Were our cars ever clearcoated from the factory? How much should I expect to pay for clearcoating? How many passes is reasonable? (I know more is better)

I'm going to get a price from our Ford bodyhouse, from a couple of independent boys (and going to ask for reference late-model pieces so I can see they don't just repaint hotrods)... anything else? guarantee on quality and longevity?

There's no rust to worry about, being a 2001... what about door sills? Trunk lid interior? Where else should I expect that they repaint? Inside of fender wells? (not that they need it)

Or... should I just get it touched up and partially sprayed where it needs it?

That's:
  • Hood<>
  • Front passenger door<>
  • passenger rocker panel (s)<>
  • trunk<>
  • rear fenders (as they abut the trunk)<>
  • front bumper<>
  • driver's front section of the rocker panel<>
  • rear passenger door (under the door handle)<>
  • possibly the rear driver's door (if I remember correctly)<>
  • roof<>
    [st]Thoughts? Paint shops whose franchises I should stay the hell away from?

Thanks guys

NOS
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Messages In This Thread
Ok, I Need Some Serious Help Here - NOS2Go4Me - 05-31-2004, 01:11 PM
Ok, I Need Some Serious Help Here - paolo - 06-01-2004, 02:20 AM