Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wich Turbo/sc?
if want a simple bolt on and forget about it kit .. then the JRSC or VF/FS kit

If you enjoy tweeking or working on it a little then i'd say get a aerocharger turbo kit .. they can be found for well under $1500US depending on what stage .. then you can always change things that you want ... but its a great starting point
Below Average Car Club
power works = :headbang:
i dont understand how superchargers will be less work then a turbo.. once the turbo setup is installed and running properly, it'll be good.. just like the SC, you need to install it, have it run good, and then forget about it..

i never understood why people think its different.. they do exacly the same thing.. one is hot exhaust driven.. the other is belt driven..
ZX3T gone..
i think it's because at this time, the only viable Turbo option which doesn't require the hassel of getting it tuned is toms kit and you may need to email back and forth new tunes till you get the one that works best.

the SC options like the JRSC BBK, FS/VF and powerworks kits are all pretty much plug and play. not to say some tweaking and retuning wont hurt or may not be needed but mostlikely not at the same level of a turbo.

personally, and i have driven a LOT of boosted foci in my day, i'd buy the powerworks kit again in a heart beat!
Seriously, if you have the money or the ability to save the money without pissing it away(on silly things like Lambo doors, right jason?) then you will have a very quick car, OEM looking install, flawless driveability and not have to screw around with tuning...powerworks is the only firm to have the ford calibartion numbers from ford. not to say the PW tuning is flawless, but it is the best i have seen right out of the box.... yes it can be improved upon, but it is the way it is so it will pass a sniffer test and is CARB compliant... toms kits cannot say that, Roush cannot say that, FS is trying but it wont make the same power or have as nice of a powerband, JRSC's and every other kit out there cannot say that and would require huge amounts of tuning to make it work.

if you are one of the lucky people who has a dyno and a capable tuner near by then anything can be made to work, if you do not then your choices are much more limited and you are forced to rely on others to get it done right. those "others" are often thousands of KMs away...
mitch, do you know if powerworks does in house tuning if you bring your car there? they arent to far from where i live, so i could purchase from you and get a spot on tune by them??

what is the going powerworks rate right now? do they have a big boost kit in the works?
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
ZX5focused,Aug 3 2005, 10:48 PM Wrote:mitch, do you know if powerworks does in house tuning if you bring your car there? they arent to far from where i live, so i could purchase from you and get a spot on tune by them??

what is the going powerworks rate right now? do they have a big boost kit in the works?
[right][snapback]127752[/snapback][/right]

running 12 psi is 'big' enuff.

A big boost kit would be like 18psi :lol:

Not that it wouldnt be fun, I just dont think we'll be seeing that soon, Mitch feel free to prove me wrong :D )
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
i am selling the PW kit for $5900 plus tax with free shipping to your door.
powerworks is working on a BBK but exact specs and release date have yet to be determind... 15-16psi and will be highly suggested or required to have a built motor.

i do not know if Powerworks can or cannot tune in house, i will call them up and find out though.

and 12psi is NEVER big enough!
we are now starting to play around with new tuning and should hopefully have some bigger numbers after this weekend!
we also have two, totally new, ZX3tuning cam profiles designed for use with the PW and JRSCs that are in testing right now. with 10 pairs of blank, new billet cams instock to grind as soon as we get more testing back. our agressive set has almost 5000kms on them with no problems yet and it will also be on the dyno this weekend! the fat mid-range profile will be getting action in my car after gains on just the kit with full exhaust and new tuning on 94 is finished.

i doubt mailorder tuning will be an option... we are not going to guess on your car. we just want to show what can be done with these kits.
If I did it again, I would go with the Powerworks kit, but now I will just work with what I got.
Mitch any plans for a cam for the procharger? Still haven't found enough power.
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.
From what I've heard, much more than 15 PSI will definitely grenade something in the Focus (Zetec anyways), but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
turbos might require tuning.. but alot of tuning from superchargers also require tuning anyway.. so i dont think thats really a major concern.. i got a base tune from SCT and it works pretty well.. might not be for optimal power, or fuel etc.. but it works.. i can't imagine how the supercharger companies "have it easy" compared to turbo and have better tunes.. all cars are different and even identical cars will probably need different tunes to run perfectly..
ZX3T gone..
Anyone know how much the FS supercharger is? The # arent that impressive but 160-170 whp and 150tq isnt too bad. Just wondering on how much this kit would cost canadian anyone?
2000 ZX3 White
Magnaflow Exhaust, Steeda CAI, Ford Racing Headers, ORP, H&R Cup Kit, ST170 headlights, JMS Lip Kit,98-01 Euro front bumper, Shorty antenna, 17" Falken Circuit spec rims with 21540ZR17 Falken Fk-451 rubber, Brembo Rotors and Hks pads
Berin,
right now the only SCs that do not require tuning are the PW and FS kits or the JRSC w. BBK. all of which will benifit from car specific dyno tuning but it is not required, the tunes out of the box are very solid and safe to plug-in and run.

vortech and procharger do not come with tuning and the JRSC tuning isn't something i'd personally run at all... but i did not mention these kits in my first post?

toms turbo is the only turbo that actually comes with decent tuning.

my point was that the PW kit is the only kit(turbo or SC) that will pass a sniffer test and is CARB legal. not that CARB has any importance in Canada but it is definately a selling tool.
i guess what i am trying to say is i still have yet to see a turbo that bolted on and the tuning worked well enough not to need tweaking to get it running right or safely. running well enough to get around untill better tuning files are emailed to you are not the same as right out of the box.

the powerworks kits i installed bolted right on, tuning was spot on for safety and the car ran perfectly right out of the box.

what more could you ask for from a boost option?
what less would you expect? :huh:

Bryn,
FS kit is $3900cnd plus tax with free shipping anywhere in Canada from me, less if you pick up! ;)
stage 2 upgrade is $380cnd
stage 3 upgrade is probably going to be around $1300cnd

power out of stage3 will probably be around the 220fwhp and 190-200lb/ft
ya know, if you got a million and a half bucks, i'll sell ya a GE-404 CF-18 powerplant....okay it's a bit old and used, but still kicks out 12,500 pounds of thrust, so i'm thinking you'll be cruising pretty good down the 401...mind you you may want to invest in bigger brakes...

BWAHAAHAHAHHA

Sorry, too much coffee today
"The weak shall inherit...........NOTHING"
Mods so far:
- 2 Inch Drop, Focus Sport Cold Air Intake, Street Glow 4 light strobe system,MBRP Cat back exhaust, 35% tint on front windows, 5% all around the rear. 1 Million Color Flowlighting Underglow kit, Inside and out. SPEEDHUT custom indiglo Guages, Sirius Satellite Radio, Pioneer DH6800 Deck, 15" Solo-Baric L7 Sub,Enkei 17 inch rims, Belltronic Radar Detector