At 3000 Rpm What Is Your Speed?
ZTWsquared,Apr 5 2009, 10:10 PM Wrote:
Gabriel,Apr 5 2009, 03:26 PM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,Mar 24 2009, 01:53 PM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Mar 24 2009, 12:05 PM Wrote:3000=115km/h in focus on winter tires
247k on the engine

i think it also depends on how you engine was tuned at the factory
[right][snapback]283315[/snapback][/right]

Nope - strictly a mechanical / mathematical thing based on transmission gearing, final drive ratio, and tire circumference.

Mechanical problems like slipping clutch or unlocked torque converter vs. locked t.c. could have an influence ... but otherwise it doesn't matter the size of the engine, the torque or the hp ... or its condition - the revs / kph will remain the same so long as those three factors remain the same.

A good analogy is the bicycle ... if the gearing and tires are the same, it doesn't matter who's riding it, the number of rpms per distance will remain the same.
[right][snapback]283318[/snapback][/right]

I agree with you , just with one exception : tire circumference . It doesn't matter whether you're on low or high profile tires , if your tach says 3000 and you drive let's say 120 km/h the gear ratio stays the same and the transmission turns at constant rpms . Now if you have tires with lower profile than the manufacturer installed , at 3ooo rpm the speedometer will show you 120 km/h but in reality you will have less than 120 . And for higher profile tires , for same readings you will actually move at over 120 km/h . That is for a manual transmission . As for automatic , I don't know , I am european , I don't play with that s#%t .
My 03 Focus SVT reads around 3200 rpm at 120 km/h in 6th . Slightly more than the 03 ZTS I had before read in 5th .
[right][snapback]284268[/snapback][/right]

I think we're saying basically the same thing ... which is why I mentioned tire circumference and not rim circumference ... as the profile gets lower the circumference of the tire will also get smaller (all other things being equal) ... bottom line being that when you reduce the circumference of the tire you cause the speedo to register higher.
[right][snapback]284288[/snapback][/right]
Sorry , but no , no matter what circumference tires you have on , or if you had your car jacked up in the air with the drive wheels not touching the ground , if the car is in gear (5th in this case , talking about 5 speed Foci ), with the engine running it should still read 120 km/h @ 3000 rpm. I am talking here readings , not the vehicle's real speed . Real speed will depend on the tires circumference . The speedo should not register different with various tire profiles because the car speed is not a radar-type system , but is in tight connection between engine speed and transmission shaft speed .
Gabriel,Apr 6 2009, 10:16 AM Wrote:Sorry , but no , no matter what circumference tires you have on , or if you had your car jacked up in the air with the drive wheels not touching the ground , if the car is in gear (5th in this case , talking about 5 speed Foci ), with the engine running it should still read 120 km/h @ 3000 rpm. I am talking here readings , not the vehicle's real speed . Real speed will depend on the tires circumference . The speedo should not register different with various tire profiles because the car speed is not a radar-type system , but is in tight connection between engine speed and transmission shaft speed .
[right][snapback]284342[/snapback][/right]

Okay, I think I get what you're saying ... that in the Focus the speedo isn't actually measuring the speed at the wheels but rather the RPMs of the transmission shaft (which, as you say wouldn't be affected by tire circumference) ... so in that case, reducing the cirumference of the tire would have the effect of reducing the actual speed vs. the indicated speed as the same transmission shaft RPMs would result in a shorter distance travelled over the same period of time.

LOL - thanks for your patience in clearing that up for me - I learned something today (assuming I got it right this time). Cheers!
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
ZTWsquared,Apr 6 2009, 12:28 PM Wrote:
Gabriel,Apr 6 2009, 10:16 AM Wrote:Sorry , but no , no matter what circumference tires you have on , or if you had your car jacked up in the air with the drive wheels not touching the ground , if the car is in gear (5th in this case , talking about 5 speed Foci ), with the engine running it should still read 120 km/h @ 3000 rpm. I am talking here readings , not the vehicle's real speed . Real speed will depend on the tires circumference . The speedo should not register different with various tire profiles because the car speed is not a radar-type system , but is in tight connection between engine speed and transmission shaft speed .
[right][snapback]284342[/snapback][/right]

Okay, I think I get what you're saying ... that in the Focus the speedo isn't actually measuring the speed at the wheels but rather the RPMs of the transmission shaft (which, as you say wouldn't be affected by tire circumference) ... so in that case, reducing the cirumference of the tire would have the effect of reducing the actual speed vs. the indicated speed as the same transmission shaft RPMs would result in a shorter distance travelled over the same period of time.

LOL - thanks for your patience in clearing that up for me - I learned something today (assuming I got it right this time). Cheers!
[right][snapback]284360[/snapback][/right]
:D sorry if I tend to lose myself in too many words . I think you got it right.The car's speedo is actually in connection with the transmission . I am not sure how the new electronic gadgets work , but I know the old school principle : let's say the speedometer is activated by cable that is hooked up to the gear box and is turned by the tranny shaft via a small gear .The faster the shaft turns (considering the gear box in the highest gear), the more speed I read on the gauge. And at certain speedo reading (120km/h for example) the car's engine will turn with certain rpm (3000 in our case ) . Now for the car to really move with 120 km/h according to a radar it has to wear 205/50/16 IIRC for a ZTS. If the car has bigger or smaller wheels , the speed read by the radar will be different , but the gauges should read still 120km/ @ 3000rpm . The rpm gauge gets the information from the distributor (old school ) or from a sensor that counts the crankshaft/ flywheel turns (newer cars). So the speedo tells you the right thing ONLY if the car wears the tires with the size given originally by the manufacturer
just drove from Sudbury to Chatham (7 hours) and I was holding steady at 120km/h at 3000rpm's on my 05 ST with 105k on the motor, 215/40/17 wheels.