Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone Wants To Buy My Focus
well im not really sure that's the thing. At first it sounded like scam all over it but this buyer hasn't hassled me or anything. The cheque appears legit with all names and addresses of both buyer and branch but for sure im holding onto the car before anything happens.

In fact, since i have missed the ford family pricing event, i've pretty much decided to keep my car (cuz i like it a lot....just wanted to try to upgrade to 07), so even if this is a good cheque, i might not sell the car anyway anymore.

I'll let you know what happens after i check it with the bank(s).
Be the change you want to see in this world.
You can go directly to the branch the cheque was issued from and ask them if the funds are available, and I believe for a small cost to you, ask the branch to certify the funds and the cheque for you.
I remember doing this years ago when i was in university and rented out my apartment for the summer and had issues with a renter. I went directly to his branch and they verified the funds were avaialble and certified the cheque for me and I believe it cost me $2.50 at the time.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
aw lucky!! I called TD and they said it will cost me $15.00 to check the cheque. They said its $10 for TD clients and $15 for non-TD clients.

Yikes!

Is the next best thing simply to deposit the cheque in my bank account and see if it clears after 5 days?

My bank (RBC) told me if the cheque doesn't clear, it will cost me $7.00.
So that's cheaper.

Usually when you deposit a cheque to your account the bank will withhold funds on that amount for 10 or even more business days. Remember, even though a cheque may clear the clearing house, it can still be rejected (ie: stop payment) anytime up to the point when the cheque physically gets back to the other person's branch. And then the rejected cheque has to make its way back to your branch at which point your account will be debited. So 5 days isn't nearly enough.

cornflakes,Sep 20 2007, 07:28 PM Wrote:aw lucky!!  I called TD and they said it will cost me $15.00 to check the cheque.  hey said its $10 for TD clients and $15 for non-TD clients.

Yikes! 

Is the next best thing simply to deposit the cheque in my bank account and see if it clears after 5 days? 

My bank (RBC) told me if the cheque doesn't clear, it will cost me $7.00.
So that's cheaper.
[right][snapback]249191[/snapback][/right]
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Cash the cheque and send him his change in monopoly money. The check will get rejected after a few weeks and both of you will have a good chuckle.
am i able to just go to my bank and try to cash this cheque in without first having it verified or will they need to first verifiy it and then cash the cheque?

Not sure what you mean by this ... but the answer is most probably "no" and these are questions you really should be asking the bank.

But anyway ... the only way you can "cash" the cheque is to go to his branch and ask for the cash. If you can, you should do this. Verification does nothing for you and offers you zero protection.

The only thing you can do at your branch is to deposit it to your account. They will not give you cash for it. Under normal circumstances they will hold funds (ie: you don't have access to the money) for a period of time (usually 10 days), but if you ask them to verify it, they might waive the withholding period.

BUT ... that does not protect you. If the cheque were to eventually bounce or more likely be subject to a stop payment - the bank has the right to get the money back from you and they will immediately debit your account, even if it means putting it into an overdraft position - and they will do this without notice to you.

The only 100% way you can be sure the cheque is any good is to get cash for it, and the only place you can make that happen is at his branch.

You should stop thinking about this now.

cornflakes,Sep 22 2007, 04:03 PM Wrote:am i able to just go to my bank and try to cash this cheque in without first having it verified or will they need to first verifiy it and then cash the cheque?
[right][snapback]249311[/snapback][/right]
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
thanks....i'm not going to bother to do anything with that cheque. I'm just going to keep it as a souvenir because I don't think i'll ever have another cheque that will say, "$16,000" on it. :)
do your signature on the back of that check and give it to me :):)
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
Quote:World-wide Fake Cheque Bust
Josh Pringle
Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Canadian is one of 77 people arrested in five countries after an eight-month investigation into counterfeit cheques.

Police in five countries seized about two billion dollars in counterfeit cheques in a sweeping crackdown.

Police say the schemes in the Netherlands, Nigeria, England and the US that aimed to defraud people by sending them fake cheques and asking for a portion of the money back.

39-year-old Henry Oshingbene of Brampton was charged with four counts of fraud over five-thousand dollars.

The RCMP has seized nearly five-thousand counterfeit financial documents in Canada since April.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]