Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleaning The Engine
Just looking for a way to clean my engine. Someone told me that I don't want water to go places it's not suppose to go and now because of my turbo I don't want to disconnect any oil lines and all that stuff.

What's the safest way of doing it wanted having problem when your done?
2000 Ford Focus Roush Turbo & 2004 Focus sedan
focusonthis_88,May 3 2006, 12:54 AM Wrote:Just looking for a way to clean my engine.  Someone told me that I don't want water to go places it's not suppose to go and now because of my turbo I don't want to disconnect any oil lines and all that stuff.

What's the safest way of doing it wanted having problem when your done?
[right][snapback]184852[/snapback][/right]

i just run the engine(car) while i'm pressure washing the engine bay. i just make sure i dont spray the coil and electricals directly with water.

i've been doing it this way for the past couple of years in the focus and i have clean tons of cars at a dealership this way. i guess that is my lazy way of cleaning :)
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Just mind yourself not to obviously spray water on the open filter :)

isn't a hot engine and cold water a bad combo?????

I think you need to PM anthony for this. I bet he can write a novel on engine cleaning hah his is spotless
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
i clean engines everyday...

dont blast the fuse panel, battery, or plugs.....

and if you own a gmc or chevy pickup...dont spray the wiper motor...LOL!!

seriously..just bag anything such as air filter, sensor, anything you dont want to get blasted..then just spray...and clean the rest by hand...

ideally if you have a compressor/airline..you can blast more freely..and then blow off all the water,,,,

..I guess I forget that I'm in a shop where we can just blow dry the engine area right away....

...ohh...and if you have a diesel...particulary a jetta, golf...etc.. dont blast anywhere near the plugs/coils...trust me :ph34r:
cover the top of the valve cover so water doesn't get down into the spark plugs and cause misfire. Then clean the cover by hand afterwards.
Hot soapy water by hand mild simple greean and a golf club brush.
Simple Green, some rags, and patience.

Make sure that you start with a cold engine, and I personally cover the coil pack, fuse box and MAF/air box areas.

When you do rinse it off, be sure to start the engine and let the heat dry off the water. One place you want to dry off is the spark plug holes. Water can get in there and sometimes leads to misfires when you're not expecting.

Finish off with a good detailing spray (protectant) and you're set.
Richard | Focused 24-7
2002 ZTS | Sangria Red | +400,000 km - most of it avoiding potholes 100km/h at a time

OFOC - Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | Redline Rendezvous @ Mosport International Raceway
ANTHONYD,May 3 2006, 12:42 PM Wrote:Hot soapy water by hand mild simple greean and a golf club brush.
[right][snapback]184943[/snapback][/right]

exactly, i've never used high pressure water on my engine. be safe and wash it by hand.
'03 Focus SVT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engine Bay Cleaning ThraxXx 11 2,463 04-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Last Post: ANTHONYD