Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Deadbolt Help
So my wife's sister and new husband are honeymooning in Hawaii and their rental car was broken into ... stolen property included two sets of keys, and now they can't get into their house when they return (and yes, we've tried for three days now to track down an extra key and there isn't one)

And I've searched the internet for the answer to my question ... the first 25 hits revealed nothing and I don't think I have time to wade through the other 75,000.

They've bolted everything down pretty tight, so the garage door, the sliding door and the windows don't appear to be vulnerable ... and so I think I the next easiest solution is to drill out the dead bolt on the front door ... I think.

It's a stand-alone lock (not incorporated into the door handle) and it's made by Schlage ... will drilling the center of the lock allow me to open it?

If so can anyone tell me what kind of a job I'm looking at?

I've got professional grade tools (mostly DeWalt) including a 1/2" hammer drill and lots of good bits and I'm good with them ... but I've never tried something like this before.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice ... and if you've got any good dead bolt / honeymoon jokes, I'll collect those too and pass them on.

Cheers and thanks.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Run, jump & Drop kick.

Video tape it & post it here.

:P
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,May 19 2006, 12:24 AM Wrote:Run, jump & Drop kick.

Video tape it & post it here.

:P
[right][snapback]188470[/snapback][/right]

[reviews disability insurance - check]

[checks weight - check (and yikes!)]

[searches work boots - check]

[attempts leg kicks - check (two's enough)]

[batteries for Sony digicam - check]

[asks wife permission -- oh, oh --- Houston we have a problem]

Uhhhh ... interesting idea Flo, but I don't think it's consistent with uhhhh my image ... yeah, that's it ... wouldn't fit my image. But thanks for the suggestion.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

You could drill it, I wouldn't use the hammer drill though, that's pretty much just for drilling into concrete, you'd probably just end up breaking it apart and may not get the deadbolt to move. Remember, start small and get bigger as you drill more. What type of drill bits are they? Just high speed steel or cobalt or somewhere in between. If they are just hss, good luck, you're going to either burn them up or break them considering that most quality dead bolts are made of high strength/grade steel, equivalent to grade 8 or A325 Structural steel. If you have cobalt, you should be good. If you don't have cobalt, go to a good industrial supplier, I assume you're from Ontario, try Acklands, even though just typing their name makes me feel like a traitor about to be hung, and ask for Walter SST bits. They're a little cheaper, and like one degree below cobalt. These bits will go through the lock steel no problem. No, in case you're wondering, I'm not a locksmith, I'm an outside sales rep for an industrial supplier here in BC, I sell thousands of drill bits in a month, did a 3 day course on the bloody things drilling through almost every metal imaginable. To help with the heat that will generate you could use the Walter Coolcut product, the part 53-B013, slacklands should have it as well, it's basically a cutting wax, works great, you drill faster and make your bits stay sharp longer.

Also, after watching HEAT, with Pacino, DeNiro, Kilmer etc I've always wanted to try this one. Get an oversize key,weld a bolt on the end, or it might have just been a bolt machined to fit into the keyhole, hammer it in real hard, thenk the deadbolt with a breaker bar. If you try this one, let me know how it works out, I've always been curious.

Have fun
No name, Cheap and Slutty.

MMM Daddy Like
Pm me. I don't know where this is all taking place but I may be able to help.
In the end, my weight and size I could kick the door in, but that is a last resort.
Why not hire a locksmith to get you in?
What kind of windows are on the outside of the house (sliders or crank)
Is there a sliding door in the house?
Not necessarily questions you want to answer over the net, i am sure, but I do have some time today if I can be of assistance.
Oh, and I doubt the drilling of the lock will help.
There are 2 screw pins that attach the deadbolt from inside the door. You would have to take them out before the deadbolt would start to come apart. But then your still stuck with the deadbolt in place.

TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
how old is this deadbolt?

If it's relatively new, as in, not made in 1945 out of an anvil like my grandmothers, you can pick it.

I know a lot of people get intimidated thinking that the typical torque tool would break or something, but that's not the case.

A locksmith would be able to get you in in a flash... an amateur might take a half hour or so if you're just making the tools.

I could go through how to make a lock picking set, but you can just as easily find it on the 'net.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Hey Bryan ... thanks ... here's the deal (and I would very much appreciate your help if you're available) ... and thanks also Focusracer for the drill bit advice.

Location = south Milton (Puppet, the lock is circa 2004, I'll search picking locks now) I was afraid drilling might not do it ... it seems like most manufacturers would protect against that sort of thing.

Locksmith? yeah, but we're all cheap so looking first for a DIY answer, they're coming home 2:30 Saturday, so I'm hoping to do it today

3-level townhouse - no windows on first level, have to climb the neighbours fence to get into the back yard (nice neighbour, not a problem)

Sliding door in back yard, could be pinned (not sure)

Someone posted something about jamming something into the lock and busting it that way, but I question whether that's much different than drilling

Booting the door is probably more expensive than a locksmith (I think - wouldn't it be?) - it's one of those steel clad exterior doors with a window

If that's the route to go, I'm 6'3" and 230 and still have my football thighs - but if you're bigger than that you get to go first (and lose some weight for gawd's sake!)

Okay ... so maybe the question is ... how would we go about getting in via the sliding door

Also ... how vulnerable is the lock in the garage door handle - assuming the interior door is unlocked, maybe that's an option.

A lock smith will cost you about $50 to get in.

much cheaper than breaking the door down.

Bryan is bigger than you, but may have a problem with climbing the fence...do you have a trampoline and room for a running start? :P

Sliding door would be pretty easy if it's not blocked... but honestly, picking the lock is probably the cheapest and easiest route to go (as I'm sure you've discovered from searching the web).

the principles of lock picking are simple, it's the execution that takes a bit of practice. You can always check out sites like lockpicking101.com for more info.

I've picked a few locks myself, and it took nearly 20 minutes for the first one since I had no idea what I was doing. But you don't have to break a sweat in those 20 minutes.

You better learn to run faster there with the fat jokes.

I am leaning up and have plans on kicking your candy ass Mustang boy.

Now go find a real man's car.

No wonder you can't get a chick.

Was that mean enough?

Can't climb a fence.Ha.

I'll show you. Video forthcoming of the crack of my ass.

call a locksmith. my brother locked himself out once and we called a locksmith. it took the guy like 5 minutes to pick the lock and get in.

also, the locksmith said that a medeco high security locks is much for difficult to pick, so if they've got those, good luck!
meford4u,May 19 2006, 08:41 AM Wrote:You better learn to run faster there with the fat jokes.

Was that mean enough?

Can't climb a fence.Ha.

I'll show you.  Video forthcoming of the crack of my ass.
[right][snapback]188494[/snapback][/right]

you'd be more intimidating if you didn't have the face of an alterboy and the soft underside of barba-papa.

It's not my fault chicks, like priests, fancy alterboys.

darkpuppet,May 19 2006, 09:12 AM Wrote:
meford4u,May 19 2006, 08:41 AM Wrote:You better learn to run faster there with the fat jokes.

Was that mean enough?

Can't climb a fence.Ha.

I'll show you.  Video forthcoming of the crack of my ass.
[right][snapback]188494[/snapback][/right]

you'd be more intimidating if you didn't have the face of an alterboy and the soft underside of barba-papa.

It's not my fault chicks, like priests, fancy alterboys.
[right][snapback]188503[/snapback][/right]

Sorry about your luck.

No I'm not.

I'm another vote for locksmith, if you need a name I can see whether the one who services my condo (and has done work for the office here) would be willing to travel out your way on an emergency basis, PM me.

NefCanuck
Vote for Locksmith.
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
I'd just go with a locksmith. Its gonna cost you atleast 50 for a new deadbolt if you drill it anyways. Might aswell try and save the deadbolt and have it rekeyed.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Thanks for the good advice guys ... yeah a locksmith it will be ... $90 for a Saturday service call and he'll re-key the two locks while he's there. Cheapest and easiest route.

Prolly the best and easiest route. Hope all goes well tomorrow for you.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads