Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil Pressure Guage. Electrical Or Mechanical
Right now I got a mechanical oil pressure guage and install seems pretty basic since there is a hole allready made in the block behind the coil. Got the How to off of http://www.myzx3.com and they also use a mechanical ford racing guage.

Any way I got ppl telling me I should have gotten electrical becuase I will run into problems with the mechanical. I know what kind of problems can happen but I feal comfortable with the mechanical.

What do you think or what did you do? Electrical or mechanical.
mechanical one actually has to be connected to oil to get the pressure right? not sure i'd want to have that in the passenger cabin if that's true.. and not sure i'd want to have a guage sticking out of the hood for people to steal.. so i think i'd go electrical..
some people might be a bit nervous about having hot oil circulating into the cabin.. if the line breaks, chaffs, etc.. could be trouble.

but people have been using mechanical gauges forever..so there's really no problem in it.. and without having to wire up the sending unit, the install should be easy.

Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Hey Steve. Didnt you buy a list of guages or did you just get a boost gauge.
i used a mechanical oil pressure in the focus....there is a plug right next to the starter that the fittings that come with autometer guages fits perfectly into....i never had any leaks or anything....

just make sure where you bring the line though the cabin that it's not rubbing on bare metal [like where you drill the hole in the firewall to put the line though] i just used an existing hole that had a gromet in it...
thabrat,Nov 12 2004, 06:41 PM Wrote:Hey Steve. Didnt you buy a list of guages or did you just get a boost gauge.
just boost and AEM UEGO

which reminds me, I need to get to PI to pick up my gauge pod so I can install..

dam people not knowing what they're doing screwing with my weekends...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

I am doing a mechanical but instead of using the nylon line im going to upgrade it to a copper line.
thabrat,Nov 12 2004, 07:21 PM Wrote:I am doing a mechanical but instead of using the nylon line im going to upgrade it to a copper line.
DO NOT use the copper line....

it's VERY easy to kink...and if you kink it and try to bend it back you will likely break it...copper is very soft metal....the nylon tubing is QUITE durable...an easier to run
i got an electric one thats still not hooked up.. hehe (see me and Flo's install)

if you are going to hook up other gauges anyway, not really that much harder.. just more wires.. i just haven't come around to hooking the oil feed to it.. it just looks really tight behind the coil.. did you guys move it? oh and my coil screws were ceased (spelling?) .. removing the whole bracket didn't work
ZX3T gone..
BerinG,Nov 15 2004, 03:24 PM Wrote:i got an electric one thats still not hooked up.. hehe (see me and Flo's install)

if you are going to hook up other gauges anyway, not really that much harder.. just more wires.. i just haven't come around to hooking the oil feed to it.. it just looks really tight behind the coil.. did you guys move it? oh and my coil screws were ceased (spelling?) .. removing the whole bracket didn't work
Still havent installed it yet.....hehehe
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Nov 15 2004, 03:43 PM Wrote:
BerinG,Nov 15 2004, 03:24 PM Wrote:i got an electric one thats still not hooked up.. hehe (see me and Flo's install)

Still havent installed it yet.....hehehe
[right][snapback]69989[/snapback][/right]

nope just being lazy.. need to get a fitting..
ZX3T gone..
How do you know if you have an electrical vs a mechanical?

on my oil press I have two wires for power/ground, then I have 4 more (I think, could be 3) for god knows what. It is an autometer procomp ultra lite gauge.
Run your car, not your mouth
ZOOM,Nov 17 2004, 10:38 PM Wrote:How do you know if you have an electrical vs a mechanical?

on my oil press I have two wires for power/ground, then I have 4 more (I think, could be 3) for god knows what. It is an autometer procomp ultra lite gauge.
[right][snapback]70417[/snapback][/right]

well for a mecanical, you'd have a tube that goes from the oil tap directly to the gauge.. for a electric one, youd have an additional component from your oil tap to the signal sender, that as electrical cables from that to your gauge.. so if your gauge is electric, it gives a reading from a signal it gets.. a mecanical gives the reading from the oil pressure it gets..
ZX3T gone..
ZOOM,Nov 18 2004, 02:38 AM Wrote:How do you know if you have an electrical vs a mechanical?

[right][snapback]70417[/snapback][/right]

If you have more than 2 wires to hook up the light bulb it's an electric gauge you got.

A mechanical gauge is well... mechanical, so no wires there except for the bulb.
got gas?