Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions About A Lightweight Fly Wheel
I am starting to feel my clutch fading on me so I'll have to replace it soon. While the clutch is being replaced I figured I might as well opt for a lightweight flywheel. Now I was trying to find the pros vs cons when doing this but can't really find anything. I know a con is that you can't coast anymore and when you let off the gas you'll slow down quicker. Right?

What about the drivability with a LWFW installed? Is it worth it?? etc...

Thanks
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
With a lightweight flywheel you will slow down slower, you will notice that when you engine brake you won't slow down as much as before.

In traffic theres not much of a difference for most people, even with the lightest flywheel. Depending on the Clutch/Flywheel combo you will notice a little more gear rollover noise and perhaps some clacking on deceleration while in gear and at idle (with clutch out).

Also you revs drop a little quicker, you ref a little faster and the car seems more responsive.

I hate that clacking(?) noise! that with the gear roll over makes the car feel so cheap :(

The FW I was looking at is the Fidanza 8.5lbs one. Is that too light? I've seen some at 11.5 lbs I think too. I'll be using a stock clutch, unless the aftermarket route is cheaper.
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
You don't want one that's too light, like one that's lighter by half or more...the driveability will decrease, and the clutch will feel more "on or off"...at least those are symptoms I've been told about...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
I've got an 8.5lb flywheel, I don't have any drivability loss.
i had the FS 8.5lb flywheel for 4 years without issues of drivability.
the clutchnet 11.5lbs flywheel and will be better for boost but will also work in a street/NA setup very well.

the clutch issue is when you step up to a high clamp clutch like a CM stg4 clutch on a NA setup with a flywheel.
if you run a mild or stock clutch then there is no issue.

the FS flywheel is $460cnd plus tax and shipping.
the Clutchnet Flywheel is $440cnd plus tax and shipping.

let me know if you have any more questions.
Sport Compact Car magazine put a FocusSport flywheel on their test car. They did the calculations and the reduced flywheel mass (9lbs vs 21.5) was equivalent to reducing the car's weight by 260 lbs in first gear, 95 lbs in second gear, and less than 50 lbs in third. So it should definetely feel more responsive in the first couple of gears, and blip quicker for downshifts.
I'm in an automatic, but on the other end of the crank my 50% UDP (which is 75% lighter than the stock pulley) definitely makes the SPI rev-happier. I would imagine it's the same overall effect (reduced rotating mass) for the flywheel.

Of course, the downshift blipping and gear rollover clacking is all lost on me :P

Just thought I'd weigh in on the lighter-is-revvier discussion :)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
CM (clutch masters flywheel. I am extremly happy with it barely any clacking
Flying through the twisties
SUNDOWN
Sundown,Jul 3 2006, 03:55 AM Wrote:CM (clutch masters flywheel. I am extremly happy with it barely any clacking
[right][snapback]196210[/snapback][/right]

But did you have that problem before though? and I think you have an SVT no?
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Nope first new aftermarket flywheel
Installed for me
Flying through the twisties
SUNDOWN
How do you like that flywheel Sundown? Where abouts did you get it?
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
Ummm, I think I'll shut up now...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Drivesthebeast,Jul 4 2006, 11:46 AM Wrote:Ummm, I think I'll shut up now...
[right][snapback]196344[/snapback][/right]

don't worry, there i s a lot of misinformation floating around out there... blame the people who post about things without ever having tried them personally, only to up their post count, for spreading this garbage. that or a mindless noob who had no idea what he was getting into and decided it wasn't a problem with the fact that he couldn't drive worth a damn, so he just blamed the parts! :P

oh and i'm not suggesting you are either, just that's why everyone thinks that's the way it is. :)
if you hate the clacking noise, turn up the radio :P
THE FOCUS IS GONE! THE LEGEND IS DEAD!

but hey, im still around.....
Sorry guys, and don't want to sound dumb, but what is this "clacking" noise ?
Focus ST170, Powerworks Big Boost SC kit, gasflowed ported and polished cylinder head, Piper exhaust cam vernier pulley, Hayward & Scott custom exhaust, RT Sports CAT, Omex 710 engine management, Magnecor KV-85 HT leads, Fidanza aluminium flywheel, Clutchmasters Stage IV clutch, Black Diamond front brake discs, Ferodo DS2500 front brake pads, EGR bodykit and spoiler, Cervinis Mach 5 bonnet, Defi gauges, Steeda Tri-Ax short shifter.
To come.....Staenz conn rods, JE custom pistons, Aquamist, Mocal oil cooler, KW Variant II coilovers, H&R anti-roll bars, Hughes Eng rear strut brace, uprated oil pump, LCR Camber plates, Rear camber bolts, Ferriday exhaust gasket, wheels.
it's the gear rollover in the mtx75 transmission common to standard model Focus' here in NA. it's more of a problem with the earlier models equipped with the 3-piedce blocker ring.
you probably wont get it in the getrag unless you have an abused trans! :P

Oh and great advice Lorne! :rolleyes:
ok Mitch you sorta answered my question. My MTX-75 is really bad for the clacking and gear roll over so I was kinda hoping that the later models had that fixed. I have a 2001 and would say a 2003-04 fit my year and would it most likely have that damn noise fixed by then?

the clutch is almost gone so if I can swap in a newer tranny I will and be done with it, cause honestly I am really close to selling the car just for those noises.
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
depends on the condition of the new trans...
the newer trans could be horribly abused and come with a bunch of other noises.
there will always be an issue with gear rollover with a lighter flywheel on our cars. it is more of a problem on the earlier models from what i have seen but that doesn't mean the problem wont be there with a newer trans aswell.
SO is there anything I can judge my tranny purchase by? Like design style, part number or what not? I'd hate to spend the money on something that is worse or equal to what I have now :(
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check