Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coil Over Lowering Kit
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 31 2006, 10:50 AM Wrote:Personally, I'd recommend a nice set of 16s with 50-series rubber or 17s with 40-series rubber and the SVT kit. The overall effect will be a massive upgrade from the stock sedan suspension. It's likely well-damped and you'll corner a hell of a lot flatter than stock thanks to the matched set of anti-sway bars. Plus, you'll reap the handling rewards without compromising your winter driveability. I'm glad I stayed around the same height with my S2 suspension upgrade as you well know what the weather's like in North Bay!

I'd also recommend a beefy front strut tower bar to sharpen your turn-in response when driving fairly aggressively. After having all the mods done to our car and then test-driving a couple of stock 06s... it's night and day.

Wider tires will tend to "railroad" or follow grooves and seams in the road, so you should be aware of that as well. I get that a lot more with the 205/50R16s than the stock 185/65R14s.
[right][snapback]204922[/snapback][/right]
I hate to say this.

Best advice ever!
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Being the owner of an SVTf I can say that I am left wishing that I had a little bit more of a drop. The only thing is that living in Manitoba we get some pretty serious snow at times in the winter and I just don't think anymore of a drop would be practical. To me the 1.5" drop from stock focus (non SVT) height would be ideal with a nice set of matched dampers and sway bars, but I'm certainly no expert and this is ONLY my opinion of the SVTf ride height, NOT my advice for your set up.
Well I guess I got some serious decisions to make. money isn't a real issue for me, I am willing to pay for the good s***. I was hoping between $1000 to 1500 but that is definatly flexable for me.

Thanks for all the advice so far and keep it coming and I will keep everyone informed.
Car Run Down for past 5 years:

Make / Model / Year / Status

Ford / Focus Sedan / 01 / STOLEN/WROTE OFF
Pontiac / Grand AM SE / 98 / STOLEN/Location still unknown
Dodge / SX 2.0 Sport / 04 / DRIVEWAY (lowjacked equip)

I HATE THIEVING PUNKS!!!!
(can the car gods make it three cars in a row to be stolen?)
$1000-1500 will open up a lot of options for you.
H&R touring cup kit(1.5"drop) is probably THE BEST kit for a extremely smooth ride and great handling. Price is just under $1000cnd, match that with a set of strut bars and you will be in under the $1500 mark easily and could even squeeze in a larger rear sway bar aswell.

if snow is a big issue in your area, get the rims you want for summer with some highend summer tires and keep your stockers and get some good winter tires for them.

its been a while since i have read up on focus suspension, but i vaguely remember a post somewhere that suggested that after 2" drop the suspension geometry becomes suboptimal.. when i still had a focus the two setups i would have bought were apex-i kit, or h&r race springs and koni yellows. i think i would have ended up with the apex-i kit b/c honest.. i dont think i would be able to pick components as well as a matched set.. but i might be swayed by the little knob on the konis that would make me feel cooler at autoX

another thing to consider with a big drop is scraping. it gets really old having to go sideways at 1mph up driveways or just parking far away on the street b/c to avoid scraping.
ZX3TUNING,Aug 31 2006, 11:25 PM Wrote:$1000-1500 will open up a lot of options for you.
H&R touring cup kit(1.5"drop) is probably THE BEST kit for a extremely smooth ride and great handling. Price is just under $1000cnd, match that with a set of strut bars and you will be in under the $1500 mark easily and could even squeeze in a larger rear sway bar aswell.

if snow is a big issue in your area, get the rims you want for summer with some highend summer tires and keep your stockers and get some good winter tires for them.
[right][snapback]205052[/snapback][/right]

Nice that is just about right for me...just went and did a little research on this setup and I think i'm going to do that.

let me know when you are ready and i can short you out with some prices..
ZX3TUNING,Sep 5 2006, 11:04 PM Wrote:let me know when you are ready and i can short you out with some prices..
[right][snapback]205594[/snapback][/right]

Thanks, I will drop you with a pm when that time comes.

meford4u,Aug 31 2006, 12:24 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 31 2006, 10:50 AM Wrote:Personally, I'd recommend a nice set of 16s with 50-series rubber or 17s with 40-series rubber and the SVT kit. The overall effect will be a massive upgrade from the stock sedan suspension. It's likely well-damped and you'll corner a hell of a lot flatter than stock thanks to the matched set of anti-sway bars. Plus, you'll reap the handling rewards without compromising your winter driveability. I'm glad I stayed around the same height with my S2 suspension upgrade as you well know what the weather's like in North Bay!

I'd also recommend a beefy front strut tower bar to sharpen your turn-in response when driving fairly aggressively. After having all the mods done to our car and then test-driving a couple of stock 06s... it's night and day.

Wider tires will tend to "railroad" or follow grooves and seams in the road, so you should be aware of that as well. I get that a lot more with the 205/50R16s than the stock 185/65R14s.
[right][snapback]204922[/snapback][/right]
I hate to say this.

Best advice ever!
[right][snapback]204945[/snapback][/right]

[Image: hellfrozenover.jpg]

It's happened.

Bryan must be drunk.